Can't login after update

Jump to solution
07-14-2021 01:20 PM
DougSims_GT
Occasional Contributor

I updated our enterprise server (single server deployment) from 10.7.1 to 10.8.1 including the Server and Portal applications. 

Now, I am only able to login to the Portal site via the local access URL (port 7443) on the server. If I try to login using the FQDN on a different machine (as I would to use it from my desktop), I get kicked back to the Login screen. This happens whether I login using the site admin account or an enterprise user account. 

I am able to login to the server manager, but Portal does not work. The server license appears to be valid and applied correctly. 

I did notice that the local management port uses a self-signed certificate, whereas the normal login is using our CA signed certificate. I'm not sure if that is related or not though.

Are there any steps I've overlooked in this process?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DougSims_GT
Occasional Contributor

It's completely shot. I am just going to give up and create a brand new VM. I ended up completely uninstalling all Enterprise software and resinstalling the 10.8.1 Enterprise builder, but it is still not working and is just hung at the webpage on a loading screen.

I have had trouble every time I've tried to update an ArcGIS Server install to a new version. I think I will go back to my original plan of installing the new version on a new machine (VM) and migrating everything over to the new server. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DavidHoy
Esri Contributor

Hi William,

Is your Portal security set to use Web Tier Authentication ?
If yes, the upgrade process may have lost that when it reinstalled the Web Adaptor.

When you go via port :7443, you are bypassing the Web Adaptor. As you can login by that route, it means the Portal Site Administrator account is still working OK.

When you say you can login to the Server Manager - do you go via the Web Adaptor ? https://<yoursite.domain.com>/server/manager   - or direct to the ArcGIS Server?  https://<yoursite.domain.com>:6443/arcgis/manager 

0 Kudos
DougSims_GT
Occasional Contributor

It says it is using Portal authentication.

Is there a separate install file to upgrade the Web adapter? I may have forgotten to install the Web Adapter for 10.8.1.

Would this happen if it is still running the 10.7.1 Web Adapter?

0 Kudos
DavidHoy
Esri Contributor

Hi William

yes - the upgraded site needs its Web Adaptors to be upgraded as well.

This actually means uninstall existing and install/configure new.

You can get the WA installer from MyEsri

You should also install the latest Patch for Web Adaptor before reconfiguring with the portal and server (this does not show up with the patchfinder tool or auto patching )  You can get it from https://support.esri.com/en/Products/Enterprise/arcgis-web-adaptor/arcgis-web-adaptor-iis/10-8-1#dow... 

0 Kudos
DavidHoy
Esri Contributor

@DougSims_GT 

Did installing updated web adaptor solve your problem? 
If yes could you please mark this as solved?

0 Kudos
DougSims_GT
Occasional Contributor

It's completely shot. I am just going to give up and create a brand new VM. I ended up completely uninstalling all Enterprise software and resinstalling the 10.8.1 Enterprise builder, but it is still not working and is just hung at the webpage on a loading screen.

I have had trouble every time I've tried to update an ArcGIS Server install to a new version. I think I will go back to my original plan of installing the new version on a new machine (VM) and migrating everything over to the new server. 

0 Kudos