Can't Enable Web map for Offline Use

Jump to solution
03-11-2021 06:57 AM
ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello,

I am having trouble enabling a web map for offline use (ie. in the web map's settings, I can't seem to get it to provide the offline tab/options. I have two things in my map: a hosted tile layer (vector tiles) which I have checked the box for "Allow this layer to be downloaded and used in an offline map." I also have an cached map service in the form of an aerial image. The image was recently re-published with the advanced setting option checked for  "Allow clients to export cache tiles." Both the vector tiles and the aerial are in the same coordinate system. The aerial image map service is on an ArcGIS Server (10.6.1) and the Vector Tile Layers are hosted on our Enterprise Portal (10.8.1). The web map is also in this Portal environment.

As far as I can tell, the layers satisfy all of the criteria for offline use according to this article: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/manage-data/take-maps-offline.htm

Am I missing any critical piece of information that would prevent the web map from providing the option to be taken offline?

FWIW I plan to use the map in Explorer for ArcGIS. The map is visible and available in Explorer but has no offline options.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

I had not done that though I have found my problem: I was sure that I'd republished my aerial imagery with the toggle checked for allowing clients to export tiles, and I had indeed done that. Problem was, we've been going through a server swap and I had been consuming a different instance of the same image in the web map. Simply republished that one with the same toggle checked and I got it working.

We'll chalk this one up to user error.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DS_GIS
by
New Contributor III

Hello, 

I actually recently went through this workflow myself! And, you seem to have created all the proper settings. But, I have one question. Have you added the World Imagery (for export) basemap into your webmap? You will need to swap it out for the current basemap. 

0 Kudos
ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

I had not done that though I have found my problem: I was sure that I'd republished my aerial imagery with the toggle checked for allowing clients to export tiles, and I had indeed done that. Problem was, we've been going through a server swap and I had been consuming a different instance of the same image in the web map. Simply republished that one with the same toggle checked and I got it working.

We'll chalk this one up to user error.

DS_GIS
by
New Contributor III

I'm glad you got it figured out! I know I had to work on this quite a bit to get the configurations right. But, it's a solid and important workflow. 

0 Kudos
ShaunDillon1
Occasional Contributor

I am having the same problem. Have made a new map by using 'Save As' and then adding a new layer to that and the old map could be downloaded for offline but the new one cannot - it does not have the button to allow offline use under Settings. I have gone through the layers and they all have "Enable Sync (required for offline use and collaboration).

0 Kudos