Annotation exporting outside data frame V10

05-12-2011 07:31 AM
AustinStreetman
New Contributor III
Running ArcGIS 10 SP2, when I export to PDF, annotation from a V9.3 file Geodatabase shows up in the margins of the map, outside of the data frame.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
63 Replies
EnricFernandez
New Contributor
I am running arc 10, SP3, and this issue is still a problem. I have multiple workstations in the network reporting the same issue. Only the machines with SP1 are not reporting this problem.
0 Kudos
marieducharme
Occasional Contributor
Hello All,

I was having the probelm prior to installing sp3. Now the problem is resolved with sp3 for us here (running 3 machines on arcmap v10 sp3, windows 7 op and 64 bit).

Primo pdf may resove the issue....

Mariska
0 Kudos
JeremyRead
New Contributor II
Has there been any update on this issue?  We are running SP3 and having this exact same problem.  We are using DDP and a Python script to export hundreds of grid maps to .PDF, and almost every single one of them has labels showing way outside the data frame (like even in the title and legend).  It is extremely annoying.
0 Kudos
AnthonyCheesman1
Occasional Contributor II
I have encountered the same problem today. I was creating a series of maps using data driven pages and annotation. I have examples of annotation, point symbols and polylines all appearing outside of the data frame. Using 10.0 SP2 on Win XP 32 bit. Was not having the issue prior to using data-driven pages - although I am loathe to individually export each map from the series.

I shall try some of the workarounds tomorrow.
0 Kudos
AnthonyCheesman1
Occasional Contributor II
Slick solution (I like the idea of it) - how does it deal with grids and coordinates? Are they drawn on top of the data frame?

I have also encountered this problem in a new version 10 database.

Here is a very goofy solution:

1. In Layout view, create a graphic rectangle that goes out the edge of the page. (can use guides for this)

2. Create another rectangle the same size as the Data Frame, align to the data frame

3. Select rectangle 2, then rectangle 1, and choose Drawing --> Graphic Opperations --> Subtract. You will now have a square doughnut graphic that frames your Data Frame.
  4. Send the new graphic to the back

5. Send the Data Frame to the back

6. Set the graphic to have the same border you want your Data Frame to have.

Now when you export, the square doughnut graphic will mask anything that hangs out of the Data Frame.
0 Kudos
JuanOrozco
Occasional Contributor
Having the same problem; labels are placed outside the maplayout ONLY for layers labeled with maplex's option "Never remove (allow overlap)" which is supposed to never remove labels within the map layout, but it should not place labels outside the layout. I wish this was fixed, instead of leaving us to find work-arounds.
0 Kudos
JeremyRead
New Contributor II
One of the analysts in our group figured out how to get around this problem for us:  Go to data frame properies-->Data Frame tab---> Clip options---->clip to current data driven page extent

Now all of our PDFs exported through the Python script are coming out correctly!
0 Kudos
RichWawrzonek
Occasional Contributor
Thanks Jeremy- I'm not using data-driven pages but when using File > Export Map...  There is an option at the bottom of the dialog called 'Clip Output to Graphics Extent'. Checking this seems to have the same effect and allows my annotation to output to .pdf.
0 Kudos
MichaelOlkin
New Contributor III
Thanks for posting this solution, which partially solved the issue for me:
Go to data frame properies-->Data Frame tab---> Clip options---->clip to current data driven page extent

I'm working with a map that uses data driven pages, which makes this solution convenient, but instead of only showing the data frame up to the extent of the data driven page, I wish to show most of the layers in the map a little beyond the extent of the data driven page, in order to provide continuity between the maps.  I used the "Exclude Layers" setting in the clip option to display only the layers that were absolutely necessary, eliminating any layers that were in the map strictly for labeling purposes.  I did set exclusions for a handful of labeled layers that I wished to preserve beyond the bounds of the data driven pages & to my surprise, none of the labels for these excluded layers showed up outside of the data frame extent. 

Perhaps this issue is related to the number of anno/labeled layers in a data frame?  Another work-around that I did not need to resort to would be to make copies of each labeled layer, make the symbols invisible & leave the labeling on, while turning off the labeling in the original layer.  Enabling the clipping for the labeled layers would take care of it, but fortunately I did not need to resort to that.
0 Kudos
ShanaFloto
New Contributor
I have also encountered this problem in a new version 10 database.

Here is a very goofy solution:

1. In Layout view, create a graphic rectangle that goes out the edge of the page. (can use guides for this)

2. Create another rectangle the same size as the Data Frame, align to the data frame

3. Select rectangle 2, then rectangle 1, and choose Drawing --> Graphic Opperations --> Subtract. You will now have a square doughnut graphic that frames your Data Frame.
  4. Send the new graphic to the back

5. Send the Data Frame to the back

6. Set the graphic to have the same border you want your Data Frame to have.

Now when you export, the square doughnut graphic will mask anything that hangs out of the Data Frame.

Thank you so much Austin.. it is a tedious way to tackle this problem to be sure, but it is a proven method and I thank you for taking the time to share!
0 Kudos