Select to view content in your preferred language

Adjusting transparency of extent indicator?

02-02-2012 06:21 AM
ReidMatthies
Deactivated User
Is it possible to adjust the the transparency of an extent indicator in a data frame? I have an extent indicator with a solid fill background, but I would like to be able to see the features underneath of the extent indicator while maintaining a solid background on the extent indicator.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JimW1
by
Frequent Contributor
As far as I know you cannot make the extent indicator background transparent.

For a workaround, I'd suggest picking a marker fill symbol background. In my example, I used a 1pt circle marker with 2pt of separation (it's a mega-zoomed inset map). You could use other symbols for more bleed-through but this is what I've used in the past when transparency is not an option. Line fills look okay too depending what your underlying data looks like.
0 Kudos
JaredPilbeam2
MVP Regular Contributor

Is there still no transparency setting? I'm having trouble finding it if there is.

0 Kudos
gisbradokla
New Contributor

This is possible. I struggled with it earlier. I had applied a gradient fill effect. (I didn't like that)

Found this thread and gave up. (almost)

But after doing some more digging found the solution.

in order to set transparency on the extent. Select the extent indicator, right click, and select propertiesselect EI.JPG

In the Extent Indicator Properties (element). Change the Element from "Leader" to "Extent Indicator" select "Callout to Edges" and choose the "Symbol"

Leader Callout.JPG

Select the color again.

Callout color.JPG

In the color selector choose the color properties at the bottom.

color properties.JPG

In the color properties choose transparency.

select transparency.JPG

Make your change!!

0 Kudos