Add X,Y coordinate grid as layer

02-16-2012 01:58 AM
LarsAnker-Rasch
New Contributor
I need to add a X,Y coordinate grid as a layer to be put on top of my geological map. I couldn't find an easy way to do this in the forums, so I hope someone here can help me.
I do NOT have a lot of experience with ArcGIS, so I would need a step-by-step tutorial on how to do this. The map I have already has coordinate data (sample points and so on that I've added to the map are based on GPS coordinates) but I am not sure how to visualize the coordinates as a grid.

Any help is greatly appreciated.  

Edit: Forgot to add version, I'm running ArcGIS 10
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
0 Kudos
LarsAnker-Rasch
New Contributor
Ok, thank you. The coordinates are now on the map.
But the next step is to project coordinates as a grid on the map. Any answer to how i can do that?
0 Kudos
michaelcollins1
Occasional Contributor III
So, you have the points showing on the map, but you need to generate a fishnet type of grid with lines between these points?
0 Kudos
LarsAnker-Rasch
New Contributor
Well, not necessarily between the individual points, but yes, as a fishnet grid like the ones you see on a typical map of Earth. Longitudinal and latitudinal lines.
0 Kudos
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
If you need to draw just a grid of the coordinate lines, consider using Grids for Data Frame in ArcMap. This grid (graticule) will be available in layout view afterwards.

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//00s90000000t000000.htm

Not sure if it is what you need, but since I cannot get why would you need to draw coordinate lines (furthermore, you said "not necessarily between the individual points"), I guess you might need just usual grids one can generate in ArcMap.
0 Kudos