Symbology restrictions for map service in spatiotemporal datastore

07-03-2023 02:35 PM
JessicaRouns
New Contributor III

Point features published to a spatiotemporal datastore have really limited symbology options. This isn't too much of a problem for an output feature service as symbology can be set in Portal, however for a map service, once the aggregation turns off and the features turn on it just shows point locations. This is pretty limiting. 

I think it would be useful to broaden the spatiotemporal data store's map service implementation to include the ability to edit the symbology. The visualisation of this information would be so much more meaningful if we could apply a unique value renderer for e.g. 

@jill_es - thoughts?

7 Comments
TanuHoque

@JessicaRouns 

since you mentioned map service... you should be able to assign unique value symbology to point features.

two questions:

1. how did you publish your map service? from Pro?

2. did you add that as a map image layer or as a feature layer in your web app?

JessicaRouns

Hi @TanuHoque - I published the map service from GeoEvent Server. I don't understand your second question? 

TanuHoque

@JessicaRouns 

can you pls check if this helps?

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/sharing/overview/publish-a-map-image-layer-from-a-host...

I guess the 2nd question might be irrelevant at this point.

however for a map service, once the aggregation turns off

I'm a bit of curious (as I'm not very much familiar with geoevent server). Would you share a screenshot of how you turn aggregation off? Are you using Map Viewer app or some some custom JS API app or something else?

thanks

JessicaRouns

Hi @TanuHoque,

That article you linked is interesting, however if I publish a hosted map image layer from the spatiotemporal feature service, wouldn't it no longer update as new data is added to the spatiotemporal datastore? I tried this anyway just to test, and it failed to publish (error: Failed to publish web layer). 

Aggregation settings are set within GeoEvent server. You set a feature threshold (say 5000 points), where the service will automatically turn off the aggregation and switch to the underlying points. This behaviour is the same in both ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Enterprise (map viewer). The underlying points have single symbol symbology.

jill_es

@JessicaRouns, the workflow @Tanu1 linked to should help address the behavior you're looking for.  Any updates made to the feature layer will then be reflected in the hosted map image layer.

Please try this workflow and let me know if you had something else in mind.  If you're still encountering an error, tech support can be able to assist.  If necessary, @JonEmch can assist with getting a case created to look into this behavior further.

jill_es
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

TanuHoque

Thanks @jill_es.

Thanks @JessicaRouns for providing clarification.

One of the main reasons behind this workflow is to take advantage of ArcGIS Pro rich cartography even when your data are in hosted databases.

I just tried publishing and it worked for me. Admitting that I have different version than what you have.

I second Jill on reaching out to the support to assist you with the publishing issue.

Regards