Controlling the drawing order of your map contents

11-09-2023 08:54 AM
MarioSchedler
New Contributor II

Dear ArcGIS Enterprise development team,

I'm looking for a way to order my layers independently from the drawing order. We have about 90+ layers and organize them in groups. It is a requirement to organize these layers to increase user experience. Currently, ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Enterprise don't have that capability to do this. I'm requesting such a feature.

User case: 

We have discussed the following workarounds: Using transparency on polygon layers and thus keeping the layer structure of Dow (#1) and moving all polygon layers at the bottom of the contents pane, then line layers and finally point layers (#2). When we implement #1 we don’t follow common cartographic best practices and will generate low quality maps which is not acceptable for me and for my users. When we would implement #2 users need much time to find the feature layer within the 90+ feature layers we publish because we wouldn’t follow a logical structure which would help them finding the layers they are looking for. This is very cumbersome and I believe that user will not accept the products we create for them. I worked with other CAD and GIS tools where a drawing order can be defined which is not causing the way how the data will be presented to the users. I was really surprised that such a basic functionality is not available in ArcGIS Pro/ Enterprise.

This functionality was already available for the ArcGIS Explorer: Controlling the drawing order of your map contents (esri.com). I would appreciate if this feature can be implemented for ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Enterprise. A map manager widget in Experience Builder would also help. 

Best regards,

Mario