Select to view content in your preferred language

There Apears to be Green Moss Growing on Everythting in Ortho

05-25-2023 03:57 AM
frobertsmaf
New Contributor III

Using Drone2Map Version is 2023.1.1 - Drone2Map Advanced- I just created an ortho last night and I am less then impressed with the result.  There apears to be green moss growing on everything, but if we look at the orginal photos the surfaces are clear and crisp.  I'm not sure how these green tones are being generated any ideas.  See my photo.  For example we have a rather large cement basketball court, but it has green bloches all over it, as do most of the building roofs (that in reality have no trees over them).

After looking a little further, there seems to be a reoccuring artifact of a tree throughout the ortho.  Any ideas where this would be coming from and how to remove it??

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WilliamKresan
New Contributor II

Just a question I have, more than a tip... 

What was your overlap settings for these flight paths? The roof 'moss' made a bit of sense since it was a very repetitive section but the basketball court has a natural stitch feature in the striping. That is what leads me to ask about the overlap.

Looking at the image location dots it seems rather far, both front/back and the side overlap. I've stitched dozens of flights and not yet had this particular issue. Control points may help minimize the number of images needed (and probably minimize the necessary overlap, too). Though, I don't see the need to take fewer images if you can, in fact, process them on your machine. 

I tend to maintain no less than 65% front back/70% side. I adjust based on individual flight requirements but that's a rule I've abided by that's served me well. 

0 Kudos
EmmaSchultz1
New Contributor III

Hi @frobertsmaf 

I noticed the same thing when I created my first "True Ortho" with D2M 2023.1.1. My first observations from the new version was the file size was extremely small compared to the traditional orthomosaic output from the previous version. I thought this may be due to the automatically checked on "Enhanced Ortho" and "Color Balancing" options that were checked on. When these two parameters were checked on, it simplified everything and removed the amount of detail that I require for my work. It weirdly blends everything together and the fine resolution is lost. I don't understand why it rounded up/ down the pixels either. But perhaps most users prefer enhanced colours etc. instead of generating a product that is realistic? 

Maybe try to check off those two parameters first. But I agree - I was unimpressed with the default parameters for a True Ortho from the new version. 

0 Kudos
MarkBarker1
Esri Contributor

Hi @frobertsmaf,

I agree those are some strange results you are receiving. I would like to help get to the bottom of this issue with you. Are you able to share out the dataset you are having these reconstruction issues with? If so, go ahead and email me (mbarker@esri.com) and I can get a shared folder going. 

Is this the only dataset you have been seeing the reconstruction issue with? or have you seen it with others?

Regards,
Mark

0 Kudos