Using Related Tables in Operations Dashboard

01-12-2016 01:33 PM
ChristopherOlsen
Occasional Contributor III

A lot of people have questions on how to leverage data from related tables using Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS.  These tables can be used as data sources and this video takes you through how to set up a Dashboard using some sample data with related tables.

13 Replies
Christopher_L_Rogers
New Contributor III

Wondering if anyone on the Operations Dashboard Team can help with this conundrum... Jeff Shaner  Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS  Ismael Chivite

Hi Tif,

This is very nice and extremely useful but I need to take it one step further so I'm hoping you can help me solve this conundrum. I have a Hosted Feature Service layer that was created by a Survey123 I built which also has one related table that contains information as well as pictures that are uploaded. I have successfully created two lists just as you've described here with the first providing the top level information from the Host Feature Service layer, actions are then set to load the second list based on a single selection from the first using the Parent/Child ID Relationship and this works perfect! Now here's the catch when the second list loads from the related table it has references to the photos that were taken and uploaded from the field by the field technician now what I need to be able to do is show the photos in a way that they're either thumbnails in their own View List window perhaps, as icons for each record perhaps (though each record usually has more than one photo), or even as the Pop-Up in a Normal Map handles them by opening up a blank Browser Tab/Window and allowing the viewer to see the pictures all at once or one at a time.

I have looked at the photos in the related table but they don't really exist there as they are merely a reference point that is used in a dynamically built URL/Web call (at least in the case of a normal pop-up in a Map) thus Operations Dashboard doesn't have a smooth intuitive way to handle this. Now I will admit I haven't tried to solve this with the new "Embedded Content" capability yet but I am working on that as we speak so if you have any ideas on how to accomplish this that would be great or at least give me some technical info that might help me understand how to generate the right URL Link to these photos while dynamically passing in the photo reference key I think I can pull a rabbit out of the proverbial hat.

So to clarify the use case and workflow here goes;

I have created a Survey123 that allows Police Officers to work interdictions stop where they will be taking photos of vehicles, vehicle identification plates, license plates, area photos, and other such things and will be uploading the details and photos thought this Survey. The survey has multiple pages one of which has a Repeat in it for the photos and has two data storage parts 1) the Hosted Feature Service layer which contains the main/general information and 2) information one each photo taken and the photo itself uploaded and I can access all of this in Operations Dashboard.

My Workflow...

1) Create the Sruvey123 and upload it whereby instantiating the necessary Hosted Feature Service layer, the Related Table, and a Map connecting it all.

2) Creat a new Operations Dashboard loading the Map from this Survey into it and then adding two lists.

3) Configured, the first list pulls in the data from the Host Feature Service layer and when a record from it is selected it feeds a second list which then pulls the data for each related record to its parent. When I try to then select a related record from the second table I don't see a way to construct a method to see the photos associated with each record. I can however; add an Indicator that provides a count of the number of photos in each related table record so I know I can see the individual photos as records yet I can't seem to figure out how to then create a dynamic link using each photos unique id that a user can click (like in the pop-up of the map) to view them or better yet perhaps using the Embedded Content widget to load the photos in it creating a way to display them all as thumbnails perhaps and if one is clicked see a larger view.

This is a great way for to create a an application that allows Commanders to see what's going on out in the field and then to gain deeper insight into the details of the data submitted through the Survey.

I hope this makes sense and hope you have some ideas as how to make this happen. If I come up with a solution with the new Embedded Content widget I'll let you know and share with the world.

Thanks Tif look forward to seeing you at UC again this year!

Regards,

Chris Rogers

OKDPS

0 Kudos
MalcolmMeyer2
Occasional Contributor II

Suggested additions to the actions  - 

• Ability to zoom the map, or fit the map bounds, to the filtered feature or features
  • Add a loading icon or something to the map to let the user know that something is happening in the map as the filter process can be slow depending on the target features
JenniferCasey1
New Contributor III

Tif Pun, the URL doesn't seem to work anymore.  Is there an updated link?

0 Kudos
JordanMiller4
Occasional Contributor III

Try using incognito mode.

0 Kudos