Offline Map Areas - Collector

12-20-2018 08:00 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello,

I am trying to download two areas for offline use in the new Collector (formally known as Aurora), I have two question regarding this topic.

1. How can I have offline areas downloaded to my device and still use the enter map if I have service and choose to. For example, an Inspector is out in the field visiting a location that was downloaded to the device for use offline, after collecting the inspector moves onto a new location, how can that inspector access the entire map on collector even when there are offline areas downloaded?

2. On AGOL on my computer, in the settings tab for my map used in Collector, In the Offline tab there is a section labeled "Map Areas" the description says that this is where you can create offline areas on the computer and these areas will be pushed out to the devices using the map. I have created two areas and waited all night for them to "package". I come to work this morning and open collector on my iPad only to find the two areas are still "generating" on my device. My question is, does this feature actually work? Has anyone else been able to use it? 

Thanks

30 Replies
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Michael --

1. Collector currently requires maps with offline map areas to be downloaded before they can be used. There isn't a way to work with the connected map while also having downloaded areas on the same device.

2. Yes, this workflow does work. We'd need a bit more detail about the content you are packaging to understand what is going on in your case.

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello Kylie,

I am attempting to package a map with hosted feature layers comprised of points, line, and polygons. There are also two hosted feature layers that are georefereniced pdfs, and finally the ESRi World imagery basemap. The Point, line, and polygon layers for collection have no data. There is a polygon feature with permit boundaries and areas of coal storage but other than that the data is very minimal. 

I am aware that the offline areas need to be downloaded before use, but they dont seem to download, whether I try on the ipad or try on my computer. On the computer the areas never "generate' on the device, and on the device the area "fail to download". 

0 Kudos
Kylie
Esri Regular Contributor

Could you share the map and services with the user Collector4ArcGIS?

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I would be happy to, though I am not sure how to share a map or service

with a individual user outside of my organization.

0 Kudos
Kylie
Esri Regular Contributor

I should have included more details! You can create a group, share the items, and invite users by name (even users outside your org).

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ok great that is easy give me just a second, you should be able to access

it now

0 Kudos
Kylie
Esri Regular Contributor

What is the name of the group and the map?

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

the group is named ESRI_GroupTEST and the map is named Coal Hollow

Collection Map

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

were you able to take a look at the map?

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 11:04 AM Michael Van Hatten <

0 Kudos