ArcGIS Collector (10.2.2) Offline storage limit

Jump to solution
07-28-2014 10:19 AM
Mapperzmap
New Contributor III

ArcGIS Collector (10.2.2) Offline storage limit?

background information:

Collector for ArcGIS 10.2.5 was released in July 2014 on Android only. It includes various bug fixes.

Collector for ArcGIS 10.2.4 was released in July 2014. It includes the following enhancements:

• Search for features in your map
  • Switch between local basemaps
  • Various bug fixes and improvements
  • Issues addressed: NIM102088

Offline workflow support for Collector effective March 2014 (version 10.2.2).

How do we expand the current 1GB limit for Collector in 'Offline' mode'?

(Example: can a MicroSD Card be used to store 10-12GB of data for Collector?)

via the side load method?

How To Side Load Your Own Tile Package For Offline Use?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

When you mention storage limit do you mean local basemap limit or downloaded feature limit?

There is no 1GB limit on sideloaded basemaps. If you cook a tpk in desktop and you have the space on the device you can bring it into the ArcGIS_Collector folder and it will work. The microSD cards will have a 4GB limitation and is something we do not support today but we are looking into. We have a limitation of 100,000 tiles on our Esri basemaps and if you are using your own map service that supports export you can configure that basemap to have a higher export limit.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

When you mention storage limit do you mean local basemap limit or downloaded feature limit?

There is no 1GB limit on sideloaded basemaps. If you cook a tpk in desktop and you have the space on the device you can bring it into the ArcGIS_Collector folder and it will work. The microSD cards will have a 4GB limitation and is something we do not support today but we are looking into. We have a limitation of 100,000 tiles on our Esri basemaps and if you are using your own map service that supports export you can configure that basemap to have a higher export limit.

Mapperzmap
New Contributor III

Storage Limit for the basemaps +feature layers - the download limit is 1GB from ArcGIS Online tpk (zipped you geodatabases) Tile packages are the most convenient because the entire cache lives in a single .tpk file. However, the size of this file might be problematic for devices that enforce a limit on file size

Create an offline map—ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET (BETA) | ArcGIS for Developers

We want to side-load at least 6GB of data (including custom tile basemaps generated by FME) for techs on to their tablets (each has 16GB SD Cards).

So there is a 4GB limit on the Card? even if exFAT

So the limitation is that it is a personal geodatabase? (.mdb)

Will ESRI support .tpk with File Geodatabase?

Would be much more future-proof

MatthewPalavido
New Contributor III

While the ArcGIS Collector app doesn't let you store the tpk files on the SD Card (Android), there is a way around that if you are feeling brave. I'm only sharing what worked for us, not recommending anyone try this...if you aren't careful, you can brick your device. We took a 64gb microsd card, formatted it as ext2, rooted our device (Trimble t41 Android), and mounted the ext2 partition on the microsd card. Then we set up a symbolic link between the ArcGIS_Collector directory to a ArcGIS_Collector directory on the ext2 partition. That way it is actually storing the files on the ext2 partition, giving us more space and no file limit size.

It has been working like a champ for us with no issues.

Matt

BrianHaren1
New Contributor II

Matt,

Interesting.  Can you tell me which version of Android you rooted to, and which image  you used?

I've got a T41 sitting on my desk that is all but useless due to the version of Android that Trimble put on it and I want to get it rooted so I can do more with it, including running Collector and Explorer for ArcGIS.

0 Kudos
MatthewPalavido
New Contributor III

Hi Brian,

I actually didn't load a different image on, I am still using the image that shipped with our t41 (which is android 4.1). The older T41 units shipped with Android 2.3.4, if that is the case with yours you can update it easily to 4.1 using the files provided by Trimble:

Trimble Docushare

Also, I was speaking with the developer (SDG Systems ) that trimble contracts to do their android work and they mentioned that they are going to roll out an update to 4.4 soon.

Matt

0 Kudos