Select to view content in your preferred language

Collector for ArcGIS v17.0.3 (Android)

10-17-2017 08:37 PM
JeffShaner
Esri Regular Contributor
8 14 4,606

Following the 17.0.3 release of Collector for ArcGIS on the iOS and Windows platform, we are pleased to announce the release of Collector on the Android platform this evening!

The Android release includes the following key features introduced late in September on the iOS and Windows platforms:

• New 95 percent confidence interval setting
  • Managed App Configuration with ArcGIS Enterprise
  • Passing collection information through the URL scheme

However, there is one big addition that is specific to the Android platform that has been added as well! Collector now supports integration with Trimble Catalyst. With Catalyst, Collector now has high accuracy GNSS data capture on demand. This new product from Trimble features a subscription-based software GNSS receiver that is capable of streaming centimeter accuracy to Collector when you need it.

CH2M and the City of Centennial joined our Collector beta program for Trimble Catalyst. Here is a blog article that discusses their success.

This release marks a major milestone for Collector. We are now heading full steam into the development of the next big evolution for Collector - the Aurora Project

Thank you,

Collector Team

14 Comments
JimGrimes
Occasional Contributor

Still having issues when attempting to use the GPS Averaging, Collector Crashes when collecting a point. Using Collector 17.0.3 and Trimble GNSS R1 with the 5.08 firmware on a Samsung Tab E with Android 7.0 OS. Anyone else having issues with GPS Averaging?

MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi, Jim

Here are a couple of questions that help us understand the issue. 

Has it happen before?

How about not using GPS averaging? 

How about using location service from the device? 

Which step does Collector crash? 

-Morgan 

JimGrimes
Occasional Contributor

Yes, this has been an issue ever since GPS Averaging has become available, have yet to get it to work on our Tablets.  Without using averaging we are able to collect sub-meter locations with the R1 receiver through the GNSS app.  We have tried using the GPS Averaging while utilizing only the Internal Antenna from the tablet not using the R1, same result Collector crashes.  We you select a template point to collect, you are brought back to the map display, a few seconds go by and then it crashes, you never see the ribbon at the top of the screen showing the progress of the collection of 1 of 5 or 1 of 20 points, etc.. being collected.

PeteCrosier
Frequent Contributor

I understand that SSL requirements have changed? Is there a summary of these changes anywhere? I get a "The server you are trying to connect to cannot be verified" message and no features that we're hosting (all the features we're using) will load. Chrome doesn't seem to have any problems with the certificate on the server and that's usually the first to complain.

MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

This can be device specific issue. Can you contact the support? 

MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

Pete,

The change was made to not allow self-signed/untrusted certs due to security concerns that could expose customers to various type of attacks. We are working on a KB article about this topic. 

In Chrome, do you see "Secure" with green lock on the address URL? 

-Morgan 

PeteCrosier
Frequent Contributor

Yep, Chrome shows the site as secure and doesn't give any warnings - but when I dig in to the developer tools to get the certificate details it says we're using an obsolete cipher. Could that be the issue?

MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

Pete, 

I have seen the issue with certificate expired or self-signed. I am not sure if obsolete cipher can be a factor. I suggest contacting Esri support and share URL to reproduce.

-Morgan 

KathleenWallis
Frequent Contributor

Jeff - I am not sure you are the right one to ask.  
I am getting ready to make a tiled basemap for offline use on 
my company's Samsung T3 tablets. Collector just released version 17.0.4. Can VECTOR basemaps be used on 
collector with Samsung Tablets?
arcgis collector* vector tiled basemap #mobile offline  

Thanks - Katy

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Kathleen,

At this time, vector tiles are not supported.

Supported data—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

AprilChipman
Frequent Contributor

Have you been able to resolve this issue? I, too, cannot see any feature layers in the Collector app when using an Android phone. Collector maps work fine on iPads and Surface tablets.

PeteCrosier
Frequent Contributor

No resolution here, I've stopped using Collector and left it to people in our organisation with devices that are still running version 10.4.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Pete,

If you are still having issues, please contact Esri Support so we can further investigate the issue. We are here to help. If you need an immediate workaround, you can export the certificate from Internet Explorer, then sideload it to each device.

AndrewHargreaves2
Deactivated User

Jeff Shaner‌ @Doug Morgenthaler

can you clarify what units I will get my results in from Trimble Catalyst? If i add the required GNSS metadata fields they include horizontal/vertical accuracy in meters (m). However, I have collectors units of measurements set to imperial (ft). Therefore which values are recorded and displayed?

Thanks

About the Author
I am the Group Product Engineering Lead for our Field Apps team at Esri. I work with an amazing team building out our field solutions. Please feel free to ask me anything about ArcGIS Field Maps, Workforce, and Navigator.