IPA files will not install on iOS devices via OTA email link

09-23-2020 03:11 PM
RyanGay2
New Contributor III

I am having issues with installing the IPA files onto iOS devices from the AppStudio OTA service. I send the link to the user that needs to download the app, and the only thing that happens is the IPA downloads to the device and that is all. No option to install or anything. I can log onto the OTA through a web browser from my device and install the app from the OTA portal, but the emailed links do not seem to work. Any ideas for installing these files on iOS devices? Thanks. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ErwinSoekianto
Esri Regular Contributor

Ryan, 

That is weird.

I just tested this, and I was able to install the IPA in another iOS device using the bit.ly link on from the "Share" button. Please note that the link is only valid for 30 minutes. 

You can also try hosting that file yourself by following this link, iOS - Creating an Installation Link for Your Enterprise App – Mag+ Designd Support  

Thank you,

Erwin

0 Kudos
RyanGay2
New Contributor III

Erwin, 

Thank you for testing. I ran a few more tests this morning and I am still having the same issue. I have sent the link to multiple users in my organization and they immediately download upon getting the link and all are reporting the same issue via the emailed link. They can all log in to the portal and download and install the app just fine. However, another workflow will be needed to send this app out to others not in my organization.  

0 Kudos
ErwinSoekianto
Esri Regular Contributor

Is there a reason you are doing this instead of putting this app in the App Store? Can I entertain you with an idea of using AppStudio Player for other people to test and use your app instead of going to the App Store or sharing the link like that?

https://community.esri.com/groups/appstudio/blog/2020/08/12/use-appstudio-player-profiles-to-showcas... 

0 Kudos
ErwinSoekianto
Esri Regular Contributor

Ryan, 

After speaking with folks for Esri Technical Support‌, we have tested and reproduced the issue you presented. and I think we figured it out. In order to share the link for iOS device, the AppStudio OTA website, AppStudio OTA, and the "Share" button needs to be opened from another iOS device for the bit.ly link to download and install the IPA file. 

If the "Share" button is clicked from a non-iOS device, then the link will only download the IPA without installing it. 

Thank you,

Erwin

0 Kudos
RyanGay2
New Contributor III

Erwin, 

Thank you for your responses. I will be putting it out on the app store. That just seems like the easiest way to do it. This particular app is being designed for folks who aren't very tech savvy and jumping through too many hoops will turn them off completely from even having the app. I am trying to devise a simple way for them to just get the app on the phone. I tried sending the link from an iOS device, and I got a prompt to install, but the app doesn't install. I tried it on several devices. I think the app store is the best move forward at this point. Thanks again!

0 Kudos