Hi everyone,
I’m working on a web-based relationship duration calculator at https://kalkulatorjadian.net/ that calculates how long two people have been together from their relationship start date. The calculator can show the elapsed duration in days, hours, minutes, and seconds.
I’m interested in taking this concept a step further by combining relationship dates with geographic data.
For example, imagine a couple entering their relationship start date and then recording important milestones such as their first date, first trip, anniversary, or other memorable events along with the location where each event happened.
The data could conceptually look like this:
Event Date Location
------------------------------------------------
Relationship Start 2024-01-15 Location A
First Date 2024-02-03 Location B
First Trip 2024-06-18 Location C
1-Year Anniversary 2025-01-15 Location D
The calculator can determine the elapsed time between these dates, while a GIS layer could be used to visualize where the milestones occurred.
I’m curious about the best way to model this in ArcGIS.
Would you recommend storing the event date/time as a temporal attribute and the location as a point feature, then using ArcGIS time-aware capabilities to visualize the milestones chronologically?
I’d also like to calculate the elapsed duration between consecutive relationship events and display something like:
“182 days since the previous milestone.”
For a web application, would it be better to calculate these durations before sending the data to ArcGIS, or use Arcade expressions/ArcGIS functionality to calculate them dynamically?
Another consideration is timezone handling. If milestones are recorded in different cities or countries, should all timestamps be stored in UTC and converted to local time only when displayed?
The relationship-duration calculator is the starting point for this idea, but I’m interested in whether ArcGIS provides a good architecture for combining dates, elapsed time, event locations, and chronological visualization in one application.
Has anyone implemented something similar with temporal feature layers or Arcade?