Select to view content in your preferred language

When to create associations?

Jump to solution
4 weeks ago
mshanaghan
Occasional Contributor

At what point in a utility network implementation do you create associations between features, eg. make a substation a container which contains transformers, switches, and regulators?

I am currently mapping fields using a data loading workspace. As I understand it, my next step will be to load data into the asset package using the "Load data using workspace" tool. Then I will apply the asset package to a geodatabase using the "asset package to geodatabase" tool.

Should associations be set up before I run the "asset package to geodatabase" tool? 

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

Depending on the size of the database, it would probably be best to create the associations in the asset package.  There is a tool in the solutions toolbox Utility Network Package tools that will automatically create the assocations based on the rules. The tool is in the Data toolset and Create Utility Network Associations.

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

Performance

From a performance standpoint, putting the associations in the asset package is the fastest way to load the associations for features contained in the asset package.

You can always bulk load them later using the import associations tools, but if you do this after your data has been versioned it will be slower.

Creating Associations

You can create associations inside the asset package (based on spatial proximity) using the Create Association Records tool found in the UN Package Tools toolbox. You can also create your own tools or processes to load the C_Associations table in the asset package if you want.

You can also create your own CSV file you can bulk load/import associations using the products Import Associations tool.

You can create associations for newly created features by either using editing templates that contain associations (typically preset templates).

You can also dynamically generate associations when features are created/updated/deleted using attribute rules.

View solution in original post

16 Replies
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

Depending on the size of the database, it would probably be best to create the associations in the asset package.  There is a tool in the solutions toolbox Utility Network Package tools that will automatically create the assocations based on the rules. The tool is in the Data toolset and Create Utility Network Associations.

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com
0 Kudos
mshanaghan
Occasional Contributor

Are adjusting the attribute rules the only way to define containment associations?

0 Kudos
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

Not attribute rules, you use UN Topology rules to define what can be associated with what.  An attribute rule, which I did not mention, could be used to populate the association.

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com
0 Kudos
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

Performance

From a performance standpoint, putting the associations in the asset package is the fastest way to load the associations for features contained in the asset package.

You can always bulk load them later using the import associations tools, but if you do this after your data has been versioned it will be slower.

Creating Associations

You can create associations inside the asset package (based on spatial proximity) using the Create Association Records tool found in the UN Package Tools toolbox. You can also create your own tools or processes to load the C_Associations table in the asset package if you want.

You can also create your own CSV file you can bulk load/import associations using the products Import Associations tool.

You can create associations for newly created features by either using editing templates that contain associations (typically preset templates).

You can also dynamically generate associations when features are created/updated/deleted using attribute rules.

mshanaghan
Occasional Contributor

So I can't create associations in the asset package using the Modify Associations pane because that pane will only be available after I apply the asset package to geodatabase? 

I am mainly just trying to create containment associations. 

0 Kudos
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

The Modify Associations tool will not be available when working with an asset package.  I would recommend using the Create Utility Network Associations and then manually review it in the Asset Package to remove any non-containment associations created.  Then Run Apply Asset Package

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com
0 Kudos
mshanaghan
Occasional Contributor

Thank you. Where would I review the associations that were created after running the "Create Utility Network Associations" tool on the asset package?

0 Kudos
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

The associations created by this tool are simply added to the c_associations table in the asset package.  You can look at this table before running the tool and get the largest objectid, then after running the tool, any objectid's larger than this value are new.

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com
0 Kudos
mshanaghan
Occasional Contributor

Is the D_Rules table meant to be edited? Should I delete rules form this table that I do not want to apply to my utility network? 

0 Kudos