Select to view content in your preferred language

Offline installer for ArcGIS For Excel

11-07-2023 08:32 AM
Jay_Gregory
Regular Contributor

My organization has disabled the Microsoft Store - I'm curious if there is an offline installer for the ArcGIS for Excel (Office 365) plugin that can be deployed to users computers instead of through the MS Store. 

0 Kudos
10 Replies
ShannonCardoza
Esri Contributor

Good morning @Jay_Gregory 

Thank you for posting this question! It's a hot topic for sure.

We no longer have installables/executables as we have shifted toward Microsoft 365’s SaaS approach, distributing them via Microsoft’s application stores. The closest we can get is with ArcGIS for Excel’s disconnected environment installation, but that is not a traditional executable either.

Can I ask why your organization chose to disable the Microsoft Store?

Happy Holidays, 

SC

Shannon Cardoza
Product Engineer
0 Kudos
JayLarsen
Occasional Contributor II

It's very common.  I work in healthcare, and MSFT store is locked out.

It's really a problem because we relied on the old Excel plugin for several routine workflows that are no very difficult and time-consuming.

My IT didn't even really seem to understand what and how the AppSource store worked...we are all Office365, so you'd think they would be hip to MSFT's concept by now.

ShannonCardoza
Esri Contributor

Thank you for the feedback @JayLarsen We must do something about this then! I will continue to share the feedback provided. 

Shannon Cardoza
Product Engineer
0 Kudos
JayLarsen
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks for the reply!

It's a shame that IT security ruins our fun like this. I played around with the Excel Office365 plugin at home on my Mac with my personal license ID and it was very cool--worked like magic. I couldn't believe it!

0 Kudos
WilliamLazorchak
New Contributor

Our organization has locked down access to the Microsoft Store for all employees. Even help desk support technicians don't have access to the Microsoft Store. I presume that somebody in our organization has access to the store, but as a general rule nobody does. Our org wants to lock down the 365 applications we use to a specific set of plugins that they feel they can support. 

0 Kudos
Jay_Gregory
Regular Contributor

Same - I work for a large federal agency and disabling the store seems to be standard practice where IT is on the hook for support.  They'd rather deploy known extensions with more centralized and managed IT deployment software. 

0 Kudos
ShannonCardoza
Esri Contributor

Understood @Jay_Gregory and @WilliamLazorchak I have taken note of this and will share it with the greater team. 

Shannon Cardoza
Product Engineer
0 Kudos
ShannonCardoza
Esri Contributor

Thank you everyone for the feedback. Much appreciated. We strive to continue to find a path forward for this topic.

Happy holidays!

- SC

Shannon Cardoza
Product Engineer
0 Kudos
liz_r_neus
New Contributor

I am in a similar situation and cannot install the add-in due to MS Store being blocked by my organization. Any further updates on this? 

0 Kudos