DEM Reconditioning EucAllocation

03-22-2023 06:42 AM
Labels (2)
glasbergenm
New Contributor II

I've got a 0.5 m raster and a feature class of slot drains in ArcGIS Pro 3.03. After running the ArcHydro tool Create Drainage Line Structures I want to run DEM Reconditioning, but it keeps failing:

374: ERROR 999999: Something unexpected caused the tool to fail. Contact Esri Technical Support (http://esriurl.com/support) to Report a Bug, and refer to the error help for potential solutions or workarounds.
Failed to create raster dataset
Failed to execute (EucAllocation).
('line 290', 'c:\\program files\\arcgis\\pro\\Resources\\ArcToolbox\\Scripts\\ArcHydro\\demreconditioning.py', '')

I can't figure out why or what I'm doing wrong. In the community I only see more issues with DEM Reconditioning without any clear solutions.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DeanDjokic
Esri Contributor

There can be many reasons for this to happen, so the solution might not be straightforward.  Since you already worked through several AH tools before getting to this point, and this tool has been around for quite some time, i will not go into installation, licensing, tool "bug", and other similar issues and will focus on typically next set of issues that might be causing this - and that is the size of the DEM you are processing and your system.  Two things to try:

1. Clip a subset of the data and try to run your full workflow on it.  Keep it small (let’s say less than 5,000 by 5,000 cells for your DEM).  You just want to see if the tools work first (and you should run your full planned workflow on it to just see if you are getting expected results and your underlying data are “adequate” for what you are trying to accomplish). 
  2. If the process does not work on a small subset, send us the data and we’ll try to reproduce it here and if we can, we’ll fix the culprit.  Please review blog “Reporting Arc Hydro Tools Issues” (https://community.esri.com/t5/water-resources-blog/reporting-arc-hydro-tools-issues/ba-p/1176263) and follow the provided guidelines there.
  3. If the process works on the smaller dataset, then it is not the tools or process, but the size/system.  Please review “Arc Hydro - Project Development Best Practices.pdf” document.  (https://community.esri.com/t5/water-resources-documents/arc-hydro-project-development-best-practices...).  The same principles apply to Pro projects.  Section 6 in that document describes some of the troubleshooting steps you can take.
  4. One thing we have noticed with this tool is that if your data are residing on a network drive, the tool is more “sensitive”.  Move the data to a local drive (it can be an external, but local drive – e.g. a USB3 HD) and run it from there. 
  5. Also, make sure that your “temp” drive has enough space to store all intermediate rasters (normally, your “temp” drive is your system drive) – we recommend that you should have at least 10 times of available space as the DEM size.

Hope this helps.

DaveAlmond
New Contributor III

Hello,

I am experiencing the same issue with the Euclidean Allocation step in the ArcHydro DEM Reconditioning tool. Were you able to resolve this issue? 

0 Kudos