gluten-free dining for UC 2023

06-27-2023 06:00 PM
Labels (1)
JoelWasinger
New Contributor II

I've seen other general posts about UC and hope that this is appropriate. It's more personal than technical.

I've attended a few UCs in the past and have generally been able to find dining suitable to my medically-necessary gluten-free diet (I have celiac disease, not doing this for fun 😐) . The UC itself has generally been accommodating, at the Map Gallery Reception and Balboa Park; I'm hopeful that continues this year and that I might even be able to eat at the Public Works SIG. 🙂 I do sincerely appreciate any accommodation, especially for the Balboa Park event.

What concerns me more generally is that, in part because of closures, I'm not finding good and recent data for restaurants in the Gas Lamp District. One exception is a meal delivery service, which I might be able to use, but could be problematic (it's weekly, not super sure the capacity at the hotel, etc.), but I'd really love to be able to dine in, eat with colleagues, that sort of thing. Ralph's is obviously an option and I'll likely at least grab breakfast items there. I know that a lot of places don't advertise because of liability concerns. Anyway, I'd appreciate any help from anyone--locals, recent attendees, fellow celiacs who've already scouted things out, etc. about available options, especially if the locations have a good track record. Heck, worst case, I'm going to start calling restaurants (and may do some of that anyway) and would love to team up with others who have the same need.

I also wouldn't hate a headsup on the trucks (again, hoping at least one or two can meet the need), which would cover lunch. In the past I basically had to go truck-to-truck. Happily I found a Korean BBQ outfit fairly early, and their food was good, so I just kept going to avoid having to waste a lot of time. Fingers crossed that they're still in the mix.

I know most of the ways to look things up and make it work (and surely will) and am most interested in specific, relatively recent (I haven't been since 2018) data. I still have some channels to explore and will continue that, but thought I'd try out the community before I got too far into it.

Thanks, y'all 😊

1 Reply
LouisCarrari
New Contributor

Hi.  I too have a medical necessity for gluten free meals without being cross contaminated, same condition CD.  I’m here now and it’s been a challenge so far, but still a lot to explore.  Data is hard to find.  I’ve been going to El Tianguis every day and I think it’s safe.  Also living out of Vons and Target gluten free to bring my own lunches.  Breakfast has been bananas and pb on gross GF bread but we take what we can get.  Anyways, hope someone else had some ideas on options.  Certainly would like accessible food equity moving forward with all the talk of saving the planet and other equity elements; food access seems to get left off.  Medically important food access is a huge issue and keeps me out of the ER.  Best luck to us!  Anyways, something’s triggered me already, though I’m thinking it’s likely my hotel shampoo but hard to say.  Hopefully the flare-up will be small and hit after my flight home.  Just sharing the struggle.  Bless ya’ll.

0 Kudos