ArcGIS Pro 3.0.2: Is setting the “neighborhood type” to be “number of neighbors” considered fixed or adaptive bandwidth?

a month ago
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 3.0.2: Is setting the “neighborhood type” to be “number of neighbors” considered fixed or adaptive bandwidth?

I couldn’t figure out if setting the “neighborhood type” to be “number of neighbors” considered fixed or adaptive bandwidth. Is the optimal bandwidth derived just in case the “neighborhood selection method” is set to be “golden search”?

In the documentation, I’m not sure why the “fixed” and “adaptive” types are meant to refer to the “kernel function” but not to the bandwidth. I think that these types are properties for the bandwidth but not the kernel function.

Clip_1002.jpgClip_1003.jpgClip_1004.jpg

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
3 Replies
EricKrause
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @JamalNUMAN

"Number of Neighbors" is an adaptive bandwidth because the distance used at a location depends on the distance to the last neighbor, so it will vary ("adapt") depending on the location.  

I believe you are looking at the documentation for an older and deprecated version of GWR.  Please find the documentation for the new version here: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/spatial-statistics/geographicallyweightedreg...

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Unfortunately, there is no mention of the adaptive/fixed strategy in the new documentation, while the literature on GWR is replete with explicit references to these two strategies.

Clip_1018.jpg

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
EricKrause
Esri Regular Contributor

Thank you for the recommendation.  We will add this to the documentation.

The reason the tool does not refer to them as "fixed" and "adaptive" within the tool is that these are both general paradigms rather than specific neighborhood types.  Using a number of neighbors is just one kind of adaptive neighborhood, and a fixed distance is one kind of fixed neighborhood.  If it just said "Adaptive" in the tool, you would then need to ask why kind of adaptive neighborhood it is, and it is specifically a number of neighbors neighborhood.  Similarly with fixed distance bands.