Applying a Transformation to a Map using ArcPy

2 weeks ago
AdamDrackley
Occasional Contributor III

If I'm understanding the page below correctly, the old DataFrame class in ArcPy for ArcMap supported setting a Transformations on the DataFrame.

DataFrame—ArcMap | Documentation (arcgis.com)

The Map Class in the ArcPy library for ArcGIS Pro ( < 3.0) doesn't seem to have an equivalent for setting the Transformations for a map, as you can do manually under the Properties menu of the Map within an ArcPro session.  Does anyone know if I'm missing something, or can this not be set through ArcPy in Pro?

Map—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

In 3.0+ versions of Pro, there seems to be an updateTransformations function on the Map Class.  Would this be the equivalent to the old DataFrame Transformations property, and it's just not available in pre-3.0 versions of the ArcPy library?  Any info the community could provide would be appreciated, many thanks.

Map—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

ListTransformations—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

would be a useful option to explore for your area and coordinate system to see what it returns prior to doing an updateTransformations

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
AdamDrackley
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks Dan.  I believe even ListTransformations isn't available in the pre-3.0 version of the ArcPy library.  It just seemed surprising to me that prior to 3.0, there was no option to read/write Map Transformation information, when that has been available on the DataFrame class in ArcMap for a long time.

Regarding updateTransformations, does this actually set a transformation on the Map, or just limit the dropdown list somehow that you'd still need to pick from manually, do you know?  Also, will Pro automatically use the first transformation available in the list if none is explicitly specified, or simply not use one at all if a transformation is required?

0 Kudos