Solved: OIC Classic not able to read Civil Air Patrol images collected with Canon cameras

12-04-2023 11:23 AM
krpic
by
New Contributor

Hello, 

We're using OIC Classic to launch a crowdsourcing project to label images collected by the Civil Air Patrol, stored in a public S3 bucket: http://fema-cap-imagery.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/Images/ 

Since the images are exceeding large and load slowly in the Experience Builder - Oriented Imagery Widget, we decided to download the images, resize them, and re-host them as an OIC. Currently the new Oriented Imagery Datasets do not support uploading images, so we're sticking to OIC Classic. 

Loading the downscaled images into ArcGIS Pro has been challenging. We've been getting the following error messages: 

Error in adding images:float() argument must be a string or a number, not 'NoneType'
Failed to execute (AddImagesToOrientedImagery).

Or, 

Could not extract coordinate info to add image: canon_example (1).png

We finally determined that OIC was unable to read images collected by Canon cameras and that it's an issue with the exif data. However, we were able to load images collected by Nikon cameras without a problem. 

Our solution was to copy non-Nikon specific exif data to all the Canon images.

We tried a number of other things that failed: 

• Changing the "Input type"
  • Uploading via an image list and folder
  • Calling images directly from S3 (this is how we determined it was an issue with Canon images)
  • Removing all exif data except lat/long
  • Converting from jpg to png or tiff
0 Kudos
1 Reply
RandallRebello
Occasional Contributor II

Hi 

Is this issue solved or still ongoing. The title of the post is confusing. 

I had a brief look at the link you provided above.. The couple of images I checked in the oh so many folders had nikon images. Do you know which ones have the canon images. 

The basic exif info that is required to add images to an OIC are as follows: 

EXIF_DateTimeOriginal

EXIF_FocalLengthIn35mmFilm

EXIF_GPSAltitude

EXIF_GPSImgDirection
EXIF_GPSLatitude
EXIF_GPSLatitudeRef
EXIF_GPSLongitude
EXIF_GPSLongitudeRef

If you have the list of images and know the coordinates and the direction.. you can create a FrameTable of all the images with the according to the schema defined here.  Page Number 11.  You will have to find a way of extracting all the coordinates and heading pitch roll values etc into this table. You can do this for the Canon images only, as the Nikon images have Exif data. 
Can you also send me a link to a canon image so I can have a look. There are too many folders for me to look thru. 

Keep the format in jpg. PNG is not supported. If it is tiff format you want to convert to it has to be cloud optimized.  What are the average sizes of some of the images? 

When you say upload images.. are you planning on adding them as attachments? You can directly access them from the s3 bucket... Adding these many images to an OIC as attachments would inflate the datastore of your OIC feature table. 

Hope this helps you. 

Randall 

0 Kudos