.net MAUI Simulator vs iPAD deployment issues

12-19-2023 07:15 AM
Labels (1)
rhughes522
New Contributor III

Visual Studio 2022

iOS 16.7 - updated to 17.2 and the issues seem resolved

iPAD Air (4th Generation)

I've built an app using AppShell.  It utilizes sqlite and syncs with a SQL Server in the cloud.  The apps works and has been successfully deployed to TestFlight.  I've been working on a new build that includes a Map from Portal on the homepage.  This Map will show the device location, provide offline download of a pre-planned offline area, and allow the user to switch between device location and Map location with a tap to create a point.  This all works in the simulator.

However, when I deploy using AdHoc or TestFlight to the iPAD it is not loading the one secure feature layer in the map, and the Device Location isn't starting when I click the button.  It was crashing when I start the LocationData Source when the LocationDisplay property changes so I've made it only start with the click of a button.  This prevents the crash, however the feature layer isn't visible.  There are also issues with functions running as expected in the ViewModel and updating bindings when complete.  Could this be an issue with code running on the wrong thread on the device vs. the Simulator?

I've not found a way to move forward with this other than just trying different things, but I am really not sure what to do.  It seems like the Authentication might not be functioning as expected and the ViewModel bindings might not be working as expected.  

So my question is 'How do you recommend troubleshooting these critical issues when they don't appear in the Simulator'?  Is there a way to debug an app deployed to the iPAD?  That seems like the only way to work this out.

--Update 

Updating the iOS version on the iPAD to 17.2 fixed the issue for the most part it seems.  The feature layer is now loading and the sdk is working as expected.  What is the recommend approach for debugging an app deployed to the iPAD?  Is anyone else out there doing that?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
rhughes522
New Contributor III

Updating the iOS version on the iPAD to 17.2 helps a lot.  The feature layer is now loading and I will be testing other features.  It didn't realize the iOS version between 16 and 17 on the iPAD would cause these issues with the esri sdk, but I don't know much so anything is possible.  Regardless, my initial question still stands.  What is the recommend approach for debugging an app deployed to the iPAD?  Is anyone else out there doing that?

0 Kudos
JoeHershman
MVP Regular Contributor

Curious what version of XCode you have installed on your build mac.  This sounds like an XCode 15 issue as opposed to a Mobile API issue.  With XCode 15 you will definitely see issues on iOS 16.x  

Thanks,
-Joe
0 Kudos