GeometryEditor higher fidelity updates than Geometry property?

Jump to solution
4 weeks ago
Labels (4)
MikeQuetel1
Occasional Contributor

I'm using the GeometryEditor for the interactive portion of a measure tool.  As the Geometry property changes, the length of the line (or area of the polygon) is updated for the user.  I'm interested in higher fidelity updates that track the sketch rubberbanding as the user moves the mouse... is this possible?  I'm sort of stuck at 200.2 as we await our IT group to roll out .NET 8 widely.

Thanks in advance!

MQ

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dotMorten
New Contributor III

Sorry! I got my versions mixed up, because we're deep into finishing 200.4 up right now 🙂

You're right. 200.2 included the first version of the new geometry editor, 200.3 required net8. No need to move up in versions to get access to it.

So in that case, I misunderstood your question. Could you clarify what you mean by "higher fidelity" ?

wrt self-contained deployment: No admin required. It's just a larger deployment that you can literally x-copy deploy if you wanted to. (It does mean if there are security updates to .NET 8 you're also responsible for updating the .net8 version embedded in your application)

View solution in original post

5 Replies
dotMorten
New Contributor III

200.3 has the new geometry editor which features rubberbanding, so you could use that until you move to .NET 8. There was a few GeometryEditor fixes in 200.4 though.

Also one cool thing about .NET 8 is it allows you to deploy .NET 8 with the app, so you really don't need to require a system-wide rollout, since you can just ship it locally in your app. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/core/deploying/#publish-self-contained

0 Kudos
MikeQuetel1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Morten.  I was under the impression that 200.3 not only supported .NET 8 but required it.  I'll look into the self contained deployment option... our users install/update the app without admin permissions, so that would be a requirement.

0 Kudos
dotMorten
New Contributor III

Sorry! I got my versions mixed up, because we're deep into finishing 200.4 up right now 🙂

You're right. 200.2 included the first version of the new geometry editor, 200.3 required net8. No need to move up in versions to get access to it.

So in that case, I misunderstood your question. Could you clarify what you mean by "higher fidelity" ?

wrt self-contained deployment: No admin required. It's just a larger deployment that you can literally x-copy deploy if you wanted to. (It does mean if there are security updates to .NET 8 you're also responsible for updating the .net8 version embedded in your application)

MikeQuetel1
Occasional Contributor

The geometry property isn't updated until a vertex is placed.  I'm interested in recalculating the length while the user is moving the mouse around and the drawing feedback of the editor is tracking the mouse location.  I suppose I could do this with window events like mousemove, but was hoping the geometryeditor supported this natively.

0 Kudos
dotMorten
New Contributor III

I see. There's no event currently to track the "temporary" state the geometry is in, so you'd have to use the mouse-move event to "append" that extra bit.