How to create a smoother raster using kriging?

03-22-2018 07:50 AM
FabioSecanho
New Contributor

Hello everyone,

As part of my research, I have to create a precipitation grid using weather stations data. I'm using Geostatistical Analyst to interpolate these data. I tested different methods (IDW, SK, UNK, ORK, and OCK) with and without data trends removal, and after analyze the statistics of these methods I chose OCK. My precipitation grid looks pretty good, but when I export the data to create a raster file (GA Layer to Grid), this file looks awful. I've seen other people having this same issue, and when they ask similar question, the answer is normally that this is not an issue. Well, although I understand it may be "normal", I really want to have a precipitation that looks more professional rather than a messed image. Is there any way to make this grid look smoother? How these institutions create these nice grid (e.g. PRISM)? Do they use other technique that I'm not aware about?

Please see below two images of my precipitation grid, one is the contour file (OCK) and the other is the raster after conversion.

Thank you very much,

Fabio

0 Kudos
4 Replies
NatashaJurko
New Contributor III

Hi Fabio,

Have you had any luck with this display issue?  I am researching other kriging related stuff and came across your post.  When you display your raster to arcmap have you tried changing the display interpolation settings to the spline (in the Properties of the raster)?   Do the values of the cells actually going from the internal krige file to the exported raster?  Keep in mind I haven't used the Geo Stat tools or kriging much so it's just a general thought.

Natasha

0 Kudos
FabioSecanho
New Contributor

Hi Natasha,

Thank you for your thoughts. I didn't have any luck to create a "better looking" raster, but after talking to some people who work much more with GIS I understand that this raster is correct even though it doesn't look good.

Best,

Fabio

0 Kudos
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor

have you tried smooth neighborhood?

0 Kudos
kayGab
by
New Contributor

You may have to resample your created raster to a finer resolution raster to get a good and smooth data

0 Kudos