Create a spline with ArcGIS

Jump to solution
10-19-2022 02:42 PM
DavidLefaivre
New Contributor

Hi,

I'm currently working on a product that need to generate spline based on a set of point. I was wondering if there was a way to generate a spline with ArcGIS, or if I absolutely need to project my point and calculate my spline from the projected point ?

Example of a spline I need to do:

Spline_Sketch.png

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarkBaird
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi David,

This looks an interesting project.  We don't have a method specific to making splines, but I'm wondering if you could achieve something through the use of curve based segments.  Line or polygon segments can be made up from one of the following curve types:

- Cubic Bezier 

- Elliptic Arc

There is a sample app here which shows how to use them.

Does this help?  If you feel there is a gap in the product, I'm always happy to consider adding something new.

Thanks

Mark

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MarkBaird
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi David,

This looks an interesting project.  We don't have a method specific to making splines, but I'm wondering if you could achieve something through the use of curve based segments.  Line or polygon segments can be made up from one of the following curve types:

- Cubic Bezier 

- Elliptic Arc

There is a sample app here which shows how to use them.

Does this help?  If you feel there is a gap in the product, I'm always happy to consider adding something new.

Thanks

Mark

0 Kudos
DavidLefaivre
New Contributor

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your fast answer. From my poor understanding on cubic spline (I'm not that good in math), a cubic spline will take a set of points and a speed and calculate the correct curve according to that data. CubicSpline seem to draw the curve I need, but I still need to make the correct calculation to determine the curve to draw.

If cubic spline is not available in Esri, than CubicBezier is a good work around for my case.

Regards,
David

0 Kudos