Tile assembly in ArcGIS Pro

02-07-2022 05:44 AM
Labels (2)
EfiKonstantinidou
New Contributor II

Hello, I work with WorldView2 imagery and I need to get started by creating an image from various image tiles for my area of interest. My question is, how can I achieve this in ArcGIS Pro? In ERDAS I would 'Import' the .TIL file and create an .img product. I am not familiar with ArcGIS (I'm using ArcGIS Pro 2.9).

Thank you

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

are you looking for a mosaic dataset option?

Create Mosaic Dataset (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
EfiKonstantinidou
New Contributor II
Hello Dan and thank you for the swift reply.

As I understand it, mosaicking is a step further down the processing workflow.
What I want to do is to initially assemble all the tiles associated with my image (it's a Very High Resolution product), then pansharpen and, if necessary, create a mosaic.
0 Kudos
GordonSumerling
Esri Contributor

Hello @EfiKonstantinidou as @DanPatterson mentions to acheive the assembly of all your images use the Mosaic Dataset. It is a Geodatabase structure that brings together all your imagery. You can then perform any raster operations against the collection in the Mosaic Dataset

Gordon

0 Kudos
EfiKonstantinidou
New Contributor II

Dear @GordonSumerling , thanks for replying.

I have attempted to proceed with the mosaic method , as suggested.  For the raster input ('add rasters to mosaic dataset'), I selected a folder containing all (multi)spectral bands and tiles, plus metadata files.

Unfortunately, the output mosaic only displays the product footprint but not the mosaicked rasters (please see attached picture). What has gone wrong in this operation?

And a question to @DanPatterson , dear Dan, what do you mean by 'sort of retired'? Is there a more up-to-date workflow for image tiling in ArcGIS?

Regards,

Liten

@GordonSumerling wrote:

Hello @EfiKonstantinidou as @DanPatterson mentions to acheive the assembly of all your images use the Mosaic Dataset. It is a Geodatabase structure that brings together all your imagery. You can then perform any raster operations against the collection in the Mosaic Dataset

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

sort of retired...

Is my signature

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
GordonSumerling
Esri Contributor

@EfiKonstantinidou So what you are seeing is the footprint of the image. This is not a fail. If you zoom in you will see the image itself. You need pyramids on the image to see it out at a further scale. The MD manages what imagery you see at what scales.

THere is an excellent workflow Esri has written that steps you through the entire process. It is found  here. I would suggest you read through this as the MD is the core to most of the large image management procedures in ArcGIS 

Cheers

Gordon

0 Kudos
EfiKonstantinidou
New Contributor II

Dear @GordonSumerling

You are right, after zooming in the image was visible. I had disabled building pyramids earlier because it threw an error message (and I can reproduce it upon request).

Thank you for the helpful suggestion on MD workflows and the mdcs tool. I succesfully assembled the tiles of a WV2 product and applied pansharpening, using the WV2 geoprocessing tool. However, the pansharpened product only contains 4 out of 8 bands. Is there an option to iclude all 8 the bands?
And another question, the proposed High Resolution imagery workflow (mdcs tool) example (Highresolution_HowTo.pdf page 6) states that an ApparentReflectance function is included. I was unable to locate and use this functionality in the provided scripts or the WV2 toolbox. Is the workflow documentation still up-to-date?

0 Kudos