Mosaic Datasets and Allowed Compression Methods

Jump to solution
01-25-2024 10:34 AM
Labels (1)
MarieCline_Delgado
Occasional Contributor

I have a mosaic dataset where the Allowed Compression Method is set to only allow LZ77. However, when I Analyze the mosaic, a message is returned that "The most frequently used compression methods for pixels referenced by the mosaic dataset are: None 100% and LZ77 0%.  Screenshot attached.

Either I am misunderstanding the functionality of Allowed Compression Methods or the property has no real effect on the mosaic dataset.  Does anyone out there in Esri land have any knowledge they could contribute to help me out?  

MarieCline_Delgado_0-1706207250056.png

RDBMS: PostgreSQL 11.2
ArcGIS Enterprise GDB: 10.7.1

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JM32
by
New Contributor III

Let me guess, you just updated to the latest version of Pro? 3.2.1

I've noticed some of the same issues when I did the test with the mosaic dataset. I tried to build stats on the test mosaic dataset after I made it and it wouldn't work. But then I remade the mosaic dataset from scratch and built it in that dialog, it calculated them just fine. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
JM32
by
New Contributor III

Do you have imagery in your mosaic dataset? And what format is it?

Have you tried other compression settings, like JPEG? 

0 Kudos
MarieCline_Delgado
Occasional Contributor

Hi,  I have tried other methods, including JPEG, and the Analysis always returns with 'None' as 100%.

I have radar data in the mosaic.  NetCDF format.

JM32
by
New Contributor III

I tried a few tests on my end to see what would happen with a TIFF file I have. Same results...says 'None' even though I set it to other compression methods in a new mosaic dataset.

I thought maybe if you didn't have statistics for the file it would return 'None', but either way it gave me the same result.

0 Kudos
MarieCline_Delgado
Occasional Contributor

Interesting.  Statistics is another problem I have apparently.  I have calculated statistics and built pyramids, but the analysis continues to report that the mosaic does not have either.  

I have quite a few mosaic datasets that I work with regularly, but I don't recall this ever being an issue.  I'm so stumped.

0 Kudos
JM32
by
New Contributor III

Let me guess, you just updated to the latest version of Pro? 3.2.1

I've noticed some of the same issues when I did the test with the mosaic dataset. I tried to build stats on the test mosaic dataset after I made it and it wouldn't work. But then I remade the mosaic dataset from scratch and built it in that dialog, it calculated them just fine. 

MarieCline_Delgado
Occasional Contributor

Hey Jon, I have been using Pro 2.9.3 for this particular case and have been using this version in general for quite some time without these issues with mosaic analysis.  However, your comment led me to try Pro 3.1 because I had an install of that version available as well.  And that solved all my mosiac analysis issues.  One analysis and every warning/info issue with stats, pyramids, and compression cleared up and things seem to be running well now.  

Thanks for all your thoughts and ideas.  

0 Kudos
JM32
by
New Contributor III

Hey Marie,

I'm glad they were helpful, and your issues are resolved.

Have a great week!

Jon

0 Kudos