Trouble getting x/y variables when importing NetCDF file

08-21-2018 12:51 PM
MaianaHanshaw
New Contributor

Hi there,

I'm trying to import a NetCDF file (into ArcGIS Pro) for the first time.... I've never used netcdf files before.

It seems pretty straightforward, but the X and Y variables of latitude and longitude are not coming up when I select the variable that I want to show (VM). All that comes up for the X and Y variables are time, n_points, and range.

Is my netcdf file not in the correct format? Am I doing something wrong? (I'm using the Make NetCDF Feature Layer because the Make NetCDF Raster Layer doesn't seem to work either (probably not equal spacing).

Any thoughts would be appreciated as I'm new to this and I'm not sure what I'm missing.

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

What is the source of the nc file?

Isn't there a description of its content and form there?

0 Kudos
MaianaHanshaw
New Contributor

The nc file is from a mobile weather radar and it was converted to NetCDF via a program called RadxConvert.

I can load the .nc file into ArcGIS and see what variables exist, but not more information, and when I click on a variable I want to convert to feature, the lat lon variables don't come up.

a

body {font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}

h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, p, hr {}

.button td {}

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Maiana, you might be better off using the netCDF4 module to explore it a bit more

netCDF4 on github manual

f = r"C:\Temp\cfrad.nc"  # your nc file

import netCDF4

f0 = netCDF4.Dataset(f)
dir(f0)

Out[27]: ['Conventions', 'Sub_conventions', ...snip...
_subclasshook__', '__unicode__',
 '_close', '_enddef', '_grpid', '_isopen', '_redef', 'author', 'close', 'cmptypes',
 'comment', 'createCompoundType', 'createDimension', 'createEnumType', 'createGroup', 
'createVLType', 'createVariable', 'created', 'data_model', 'delncattr', 'dimensions',
 'disk_format', 'driver', 'end_datetime', 'enumtypes', 'file_format', 'filepath',
 'get_variables_by_attributes', 'getncattr', 'groups', 'history', 'institution',
 'instrument_name', 'isopen', 'keepweakref', 'n_gates_vary', 'ncattrs', 'original_format'

, 'parent', 'path', 'platform_is_mobile', 'ray_times_increase', 'references',
 'renameAttribute', 'renameDimension', 'renameGroup', 'renameVariable', 'scan_id',
 'scan_name', 'set_auto_chartostring', 'set_auto_mask', 'set_auto_maskandscale',
 'set_auto_scale', 'set_fill_off', 'set_fill_on', 'setncattr', 'setncattr_string',
 'setncatts', 'site_name', 'source', 'start_datetime', 'sync', 'time_coverage_end', 
'time_coverage_start', 'title', 'variables', 'version', 'vltypes']
0 Kudos