Unable to configure local machine in standby mode for high availability.

10-11-2021 10:11 AM
COI-GWEST
New Contributor II

I am configuring an HA Portal site and have successfully deployed machine 1, when attempting to join machine 2 to the site I get the error below.  I am using a domain service account on both machines and that account has full permissions on the content directory and the local Portal folders, i.e. /arcgis/portal/ and /arcgisportal.  This is for Portal 10.9.  I have used the same service account to create a 2 machine ArcGIS Server Site and this works without issue.  During the initial installation a message indicating that the service account network path wasn't found, even though the machine is on the domain and I was able to change the log on user from ./arcgis to my domain/serviceaccount after Portal was installed.   I have taken a look at a similar case where the user alluded to the domain account not having permissions to launch processes for pgsql.  This is pretty much my exact issue.  The db folder creates temporairly then removes itself, and the logs in event viewer indicate the following.

The description for Event ID 0 from source PostgreSQL cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

pg_ctl: directory "C:/arcgisportal/db" is not a database cluster directory

https://community.esri.com/t5/high-availability-and-disaster-recovery-questions/join-portal-sites-is...

COIGWEST_0-1633971711381.png

@JonathanQuinn 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Where is your portal's content folder located?

0 Kudos
COI-GWEST
New Contributor II
Hi,
The content directory is in a shared location that both machines can
access. Specifically, AWS FSX Directory for Windows.
0 Kudos
ChristopherPawlyszyn
Esri Contributor

Did you make sure proper permissions were applied for the new service account?

The service account should have full control over the arcgisportal directory (C:\arcgisportal by default) and all subdirectories within the installation location (C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Portal by default) with the exception of License, scripts, support, and zips, which are read access.

-- Chris Pawlyszyn
0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

maybe a portal backup/export and import on the new machine will work for you

0 Kudos
JoeHershman
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi @COI-GWEST

Have you ever resolved this issue?  I am seeing the exact same problem and cannot resolve.  We are using a gMSA to run Portal

Thanks,
-Joe
0 Kudos