ArcGIS Portal 10.9.1 HA architecture and third-party load balancer

03-26-2023 09:06 PM
EstherSmith_Dev
New Contributor III

Hi,

I have a question regarding the Portal's HA configuration and how to configure a third-party load balancer without ArcGIS Web Adaptor. 

Should LB be configured to redirect only to Portal's primary machine or both primary and secondary in a round-robin manner?  

Though I have not seen this documented anywhere, my observation is, if ArcGIS Web Adaptor is included in the Portal’s HA set-up, Web Adaptor always forwards request to the Portal’s Primary machine if its heartbeat status is success. And if primary portal becomes unavailable, it forwards the request to the Standby machine that promotes itself to be primary. Is this correct?

Thanks,

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
rshihab
New Contributor III

Hi,

The Portal for ArcGIS is configured with LB; there is a common name for internal configuration under the private URL for both portal machines. The LB will check to do the health check so the request will be redirected to the active machine.

Ramla Shihab
0 Kudos
ArchitSrivastava
Occasional Contributor II

Hello @EstherSmith_Dev ,

I ESRI's documentation in regards to "Configuring Load Balancer" it explains the steps which are required to be performed.

Kindly find the document below:

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/portal/10.9.1/administer/windows/configuring-a-highly-available-por... 

Hope it helps answer your query and allows you to move forward.

Archit

0 Kudos