Oracle switch from Windows to Linux

Jump to solution
12-08-2022 01:07 AM
Labels (2)
JamesMorrison1
Occasional Contributor

Good Morning Everyone

In the near future our IT department wish to switch our Oracle 19c geodatabases from Windows to LINUX

Naturally, we will need to use the ESRI specific libraries - libst_shapelib.so - on LINUX. Sorry I am far from a LINUX expert.

Question 1: Do these ESRI libraries only work with a certain LINUX Version, see list from Oracle below?

Question 2: Are there any other known issues which could arise in such a switch?

The following Linux x86-64 kernels are supported:

• Oracle Linux 8.1 with the Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel 6: 5.4.17-2011.0.7.el8uek.x86_64 or later
    Oracle Linux 8 with the Red Hat Compatible kernel: 4.18.0-80.el8.x86_64 or later
  • Oracle Linux 7.4 with the Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel 4: 4.1.12-124.19.2.el7uek.x86_64 or later
    Oracle Linux 7.4 with the Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel 5: 4.14.35-1818.1.6.el7uek.x86_64 or later
    Oracle Linux 7.7 with the Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel 6: 5.4.17-2011.4.4.el7uek.x86_64 or later
    Oracle Linux 7.5 with the Red Hat Compatible Kernel: 3.10.0-862.11.6.el7.x86_64 or later
  • Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8: 4.18.0-80.el8.x86_64 or later
  • Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.5: 3.10.0-862.11.6.el7.x86_64 or later
  • SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 15: 4.12.14-23-default or later
  • SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP3: 4.4.162-94.72-default or later

Feedback welcome and thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

Question 1: Do these ESRI libraries only work with a certain LINUX Version, see list from Oracle below?

Answer:  
ArcGIS 11.0 and ArcGIS Pro 3.0 requirements for Oracle—ArcGIS Enterprise | Documentation for ArcGIS ...

Esri supports the following four operating systems when you use the ST_Geometry shape library and configure Oracle external procedure (extproc).

• IBM AIX (64 bit)
  • Linux (64 bit)
  • Solaris (64 bit)
  • Microsoft Windows (64 bit)

And Oracle 19c is certified by Oracle on the following Linux Versions

Oracle 19c on Linux x86-64
7 Versions (SLES 15, SLES 12, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7, Oracle Linux 8.x, Oracle Linux 8, Oracle Linux 7)

MarceloMarques_0-1670518692921.png

Question 2: Are there any other known issues which could arise in such a switch?

Answer: migration shall be easy, but keep in mind that Windows Authentication is only supported if the Oracle Database is on Windows. It is highly recommended that you apply the latest Oracle 19c Patchset available from Oracle and keep the Oracle Enterprise Geodatabase ArcSDE Repository upgraded to the version of the ArcGIS Software that you are using (ArcGIS Pro / ArcMap / ArcGIS Enterprise), read more in this link Client and geodatabase compatibility—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation  , also make sure the Oracle Client Version matches the Oracle Database Version and keep the Oracle Client Updated, read more in this link How to Install the Oracle Database Client for ArcGIS?

I hope this clarifies.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

Answer:  
ArcGIS 11.0 and ArcGIS Pro 3.0 requirements for Oracle—ArcGIS Enterprise | Documentation for ArcGIS ...

Esri supports the following four operating systems when you use the ST_Geometry shape library and configure Oracle external procedure (extproc).

• IBM AIX (64 bit)
  • Linux (64 bit)
  • Solaris (64 bit)
  • Microsoft Windows (64 bit)

And Oracle 19c is certified by Oracle on the following Linux Versions

Oracle 19c on Linux x86-64
7 Versions (SLES 15, SLES 12, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7, Oracle Linux 8.x, Oracle Linux 8, Oracle Linux 7)

MarceloMarques_0-1670518692921.png

Question 2: Are there any other known issues which could arise in such a switch?

Answer: migration shall be easy, but keep in mind that Windows Authentication is only supported if the Oracle Database is on Windows. It is highly recommended that you apply the latest Oracle 19c Patchset available from Oracle and keep the Oracle Enterprise Geodatabase ArcSDE Repository upgraded to the version of the ArcGIS Software that you are using (ArcGIS Pro / ArcMap / ArcGIS Enterprise), read more in this link Client and geodatabase compatibility—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation  , also make sure the Oracle Client Version matches the Oracle Database Version and keep the Oracle Client Updated, read more in this link How to Install the Oracle Database Client for ArcGIS?

I hope this clarifies.

JamesMorrison1
Occasional Contributor

Perfect - thank you Marcelo  - you always give great and detailed replies.

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@JamesMorrison1 - You are welcome. 😊

0 Kudos