What is your opinion about external data for proper Geo Analysis?

04-03-2024 01:08 PM
Labels (2)
FaustoGarcia
New Contributor

What is your opinion about external data for proper Geo Analysis?

Summary: As a GIS professional, I believe that incorporating external data sources is essential for robust geospatial analysis. These additional datasets enrich our understanding of spatial patterns, enhance accuracy, and provide context for informed decision-making.

My Perspective:  As a GIS enthusiast with over 20 years of experience, I have worked across diverse industries and on various projects. Throughout this journey, I’ve observed that many companies tend to focus solely on internal data—answering the ‘what,’ ‘where,’ ‘how,’ ‘when,’ and ‘why’ within their operations. However, to gain a comprehensive understanding, we must also apply these same questions externally. By studying external variables, including competitor analyses and demographic data, we can develop robust projects that address critical challenges and find effective solutions

Tags (4)
2 Replies
BrookeHewitt
New Contributor II

Absolutely, I couldn't agree more with the importance of integrating external data into geospatial analysis. In my years of working in GIS, I've found that relying solely on internal data limits the scope and depth of insights we can derive. External data sources provide valuable context, helping us see the bigger picture and make more informed decisions. Whether it's demographic information, environmental data, or market trends, incorporating these external factors enriches our analyses and ultimately leads to more effective outcomes.

EzekielAlao
New Contributor II

Hello @FaustoGarcia 

I agree with your perspective. I once advised a friend of mine who was an educational management student to incorporate geographical information into her data collection. I emphasized the importance of her research being unique to her area, given its pure educational context. The value of her study was enhanced by gathering data directly from the field and obtaining responses from participants. Therefore, I completely agree with your view that integrating external data sources is crucial for thorough geospatial analysis. Just as we encourage others to include location data to enrich their studies, we should also acknowledge that using data from these sources can significantly strengthen our research and analysis.

0 Kudos