GIS Meets CAD and BIM: 5 Reasons to Join Esri's Free AEC Course

04-26-2023 11:07 AM
Labels (2)
MaryBWilson
Esri Contributor
4 0 3,134

MaryBWilson_0-1682532130120.jpeg

MaryBWilson_1-1682532129990.png   Don’t miss it! Registration closes May 10 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time).

MaryBWilson_2-1682532129991.pngEsri's newest massive open online course (MOOC), Transform AEC Projects with GIS and BIM, continues to gain in popularity with more than 13,000 AEC professionals and students already signed up for this year’s session. That number is climbing every day – and when you consider the value this course offers – it’s no surprise why. After hearing from course completers around the world, the reasons below demonstrate why 98% of attendees surveyed said they would recommend this course to a friend.

MaryBWilson_3-1682532129992.png

1. Release your inner kid using interactive ArcGIS Drone2Map.

What's not to love? The use of drone technology is a favorite activity among students. Discover how ArcGIS Drone2Map processes drone-captured images into professional quality 2D and 3D imagery products that are ready for analysis in ArcGIS.

"The interactive drone image processing software was really innovative. I appreciated the fact that I could process the raw images right on my laptop, and that it was powerful enough to take advantage of this MOOC." - David H.

2. Bring your models to life with CAD, BIM, and 3D visualizations.

MaryBWilson_4-1682532130005.png

Have you hit a wall (figuratively) with your projects? Are your designs falling flat (literally)? Discover why more and more professionals and students are integrating computer-aided design (CAD) data and building information models (BIM) with GIS technology to find – and create – solutions. You might even regret not diving in sooner as these tools are becoming indispensable to the planning, design, and construction of structures and buildings. This course will teach you to optimize your designs with 3D visualizations and efficiently manage information throughout a project’s whole life cycle.

3. Get your hands on multiple ArcGIS software products (for free!).

If you’re like us, you’ve been eager to test out different products that Esri offers. That can be a challenge if you don’t have a lot of time or just don’t know where to start. Well, here’s your chance to dabble in, not one, but five different products. This course provides free access to ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS Spatial Analyst, ArcGIS 3D Analyst, and ArcGIS Drone2Map software for use in the exercises. Not to mention all the fun apps and capabilities including ArcScene and ArcGIS Dashboards. Did we mention it’s free??

"I learned so much. I have never used Dashboards, web scenes, or ArcScene in ArcGIS Pro before. I had no idea you could utilize so much with them!" - Maureen S.

4. Apply what you learn to real-life workflows.

Nearly half of 2022 attendees surveyed were not familiar at all with integrated GIS and BIM workflows before taking this MOOC, but 9 out of 10 plan to incorporate these tools into their work or studies. Leading AEC firms recognize the need to bring CAD, BIM, and GIS tools together to deliver better projects, offer additional services, and prepare themselves for new ways of working.

"I like the comprehensive view of the process and tools. Just enough to imagine a workflow." - Eric R.

5. Build credibility among peers and customers.

It seems we all have an opinion about everything these days, but many don’t have actual proof that they know what they’re talking about. By taking this course, the experience you gain can help increase confidence and establish credibility that fuels personal, professional, and business growth. With the AEC course certificate validating your knowledge (as well as your newfound confidence), others may be more open to your ideas and may even come to you for guidance. 

“This course gave me the opportunity to learn about ArcGIS GeoBIM as a tool and puts me in a better position to talk about it with my customers.” -- Gretchen C.

Now that you have more than enough reasons to join in on the fun, what are you waiting for?

Yes, Sign Me Up!  

“I am very thankful to Esri for putting out these free of cost resources for a common audience. It benefited me a lot in various aspects in furthering me in my GIS career.
Can’t thank enough Esri MOOC team!!” - Adithya V.