Certification materials for higher education planning

04-25-2018 10:00 AM
michaellefsky
New Contributor II

I'm a professor at Colorado State University, where I primarily teach remote sensing. I'd like to evaluate the suitability of the certification program for integration into our existing curriculum. I haven't found any in depth materials on the program, other than the general outline of the topics being tested and the sample questions available. Do you have any additional materials that you could send me? Also, I see that the certification study guides aren't part of the desk copy program for faculty- adding them would help faculty to evaluate the program. 

Looking forward to seeing what you have- I think that the certification program could help provide students with further motivation to study GIS in depth as well as benchmarks for their progress.  

7 Replies
michaellefsky
New Contributor II

Also, I have seen the preperation resources- I am more interested in materials specific to higher ed integration. I won't be able to attend the upcoming workshop on this topic. 

0 Kudos
JerenPortillo
Esri Contributor

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your interest in aligning your curriculum with Esri Technical Certification.  Did you know that we just released a story map on this exact topic?  Please follow the link to access the story map and engage with the alignment strategies.  

http://go.esri.com/cert-ed

Thanks for your question and please let us know if you need any further information.

JRosales_GIS

michaellefsky
New Contributor II

I'd like to see the certification study guides available as desk copies so faculty can get free copies. Is this likely to occur in the near future? I contacted esripress and they have not replied.  

JerenPortillo
Esri Contributor

Hi Michael - Good news!  On April 30th, Esri released a new certification study guide for sale on Amazon or your favorite book retailer.  Check out Esri ArcGIS Desktop Associate Certification Study Guide 2nd Edition.

JRosales _GIS

esripress‌ #esritechnicalcertification

michaellefsky
New Contributor II

You know what would be better news? Adding those texts to the list of faculty desk copies so we can plan our courses which will, in turn, promote the number of people using Arcgis- the central topic of my email. 

A close second to that news would be having you write a straightforward reply responding to the central theme of my own, rather then a tangential comment that implies that if I want a copy to assist in our curriculum planning, I can go out and buy one myself. Just say that you are coordinating with ESRI press and you'll get back with me when you learn something more. Just as useless to me but less annoying. 

0 Kudos
JerenPortillo
Esri Contributor

I am sorry if you felt my previous responses were inadequate or deliberately vague; that was not my intention.  I wanted to make mention of the availability of the student guide as it was not available in print prior to 4/30.  I would be happy to connect with Esri Press on the availability of desk copies and reconnect with you when I receive a response from that team.

In the meantime, if you are interested in aligning your curriculum, I would advise you to thoroughly review the general outline of topics as those are all concepts presented on the exam. While the study guide will help to guide preparation it is intended to help fill knowledge gaps as opposed to teaching to the the exam.  The previously mentioned story map includes information on how to plan for alignment and some considerations for faculty organizers.

Should you have any additional questions or concerns about the information above, or if you would like to schedule some time for us to discuss further, please feel free to reach out.

Jessi Mielke‌  JRosales _GIS

0 Kudos
JerenPortillo
Esri Contributor

Hi Michael - I have been in touch with Esri Press and they have offered to send you a desk copy now since the request to have it added to the list is still in progress.  Please send your contact information and preferred mailing address via email to certification@esri.com and we will get that out to you asap.

If you have any further questions, please let us know.

Jessi MielkeJRosales _GIS