See results while collecting data in Survey123

05-31-2023 12:28 PM
Labels (1)
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
5 2 758

A fairly common scenario: A classroom collects data with Survey123 and wants to only collect each item once. But while working in the survey, students can't see what has already been collected. This can be solved by updating the map in the survey to include the survey results.

Step 1: Design and author your survey

Design and author your survey as you would for any survey. Include a map, as that is where you'll show the data that's already collected.

Make sure to take your time here and think about the types of answers you want, and use data types to get the most useful answers.

Step 2: Publish and share your survey and results

1. Once your survey is designed and ready (other than your updated map), publish it and go to the Collaborate tab.
  2. In the Collaborate tab, update Share survey.
  3. Set Who can submit to this survey? to the students collecting the data (this can be a group, your org, or even publicly).
  4. Still in the Collaborate tab, go to Share results and set who can view results of this survey so that with the students doing the data collection also have access to the results. (This can also be a group, your org, or even publicly.)  

collaborate.jpg

Step 3: Make a map with your results

1. Go to ArcGIS Online, click Map, and add your results layer to the map. Make sure to use the results layer - it will be named like "surveyname_results".
  2. Configure the map. Consider setting symbology that looks right for the data you are collecting. 
  3. Configure labels on the results layer as follows:
    1. On the light toolbar, click Labels
    2. Enable labels if they aren't already enabled.
    3. Click Add label class and for Label field choose the field in your data you'd like to see as the label on the map during collection. If you want, you can click </> and use an expression to show multiple fields.

labelMap.jpg

Since the items on the map won't be clickable, the label gives the data collector information about what's already captured.
  4. Save your map.

Step 5: Update your survey to show your map

1. Go back to the Survey123 website and edit your survey.
  2. In the Design tab, click on the map question to configure it.
  3. Beside Map and extent, click Edit.
    mapEdit.jpg
  4. At the top of the panel, click Organization's basemap gallery to change where you are looking for maps, and choose My content.
    mapEdit-MapList.jpg
  5. Click the map you made in the previous step to select it, and click OK.
    mapEdit-pickMap.jpg
  6. Publish your survey to make your updated map available to everyone using the survey. 

And that's it!

As students and other data collectors work, the map in the survey will show the items that have already been collected. Before they add something to the map, they can check that it's not already there.

surveyDone.jpg

2 Comments
qz
by
New Contributor II

Is it not possible to do the publishing the map step after you've already created a survey using SUrvey123 connect? I see this when I go to the design tab : "This survey was published with Survey123 Connect. Questions cannot be modified in the web designer. The sample below is for illustrative purposes only and does not represent your actual survey. " I don't want to modify any questions in the browser though, so it seems odd that that would prevent me from adding the map.

Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

If you used Survey123 Connect to author your survey you can't update or change any questions in the web designer because there are things you could have set up in Survey123 Connect that the web designer can't work with. The map is a question, so the same applies for making changes to it.

However, you can do step 5 (specifying the map to use with your survey) in Survey123 Connect instead of in the web designer. In Survey123 Connect, you'll first link the map you created to the survey and then specify it as the default map for your survey:

1. Look at the map you created and get its ID. The ID will be at then end of the URL of the map. It will be a long value like a5c6a59c0d5a4136b5db80e90437b411.
    For example, my map URL is https://edteam.maps.arcgis.com/apps/mapviewer/index.html?webmap=a5c6a59c0d5a4136b5db80e90437b411 and my ID is a5c6a59c0d5a4136b5db80e90437b411.
  2. Download and open the survey in Survey123 Connect.
  3. Go to the Linked content tab.
  4. Click + Linked content at the top, choose online map, select the map you just made, and click OK.
  5. Click XLSForm along the left of Survey123 Connect to open your spreadsheet if its not already open.
  6. In the spreadsheet, find the row for your map (look for the type geopoint, geotrace, or geoshape).
  7. In the column for body::esri:style, enter map={your ID}
    In my example, with ID a5c6a59c0d5a4136b5db80e90437b411, I enter map=a5c6a59c0d5a4136b5db80e90437b411
  8. Save your spreadsheet.
  9. In Survey123 Connect, click Update.
  10. In Survey123 Connect, click Publish.

About the Author
Our kids need GIS in their problem-solving toolboxes. I'm working to get digital maps into each K-12 classroom and the hands of each child. A long-time Esri employee, I've previously worked on Esri's mobile apps, focused on documentation and best practices. Out of the office I'm a runner often found on the trails or chasing my children.