Meet the 2022 Esri Young Scholar Award winners

07-26-2022 08:30 AM
MichaelGould
Esri Contributor
4 2 2,789

2022 ysa.jpg

ArcGIS is being used in classroom instruction and in a wide spectrum of research projects at more than 10,000 universities around the world. Each year many Esri offices around the world hold national competitions for the best student project and each winner is given an Esri Young Scholar Award. Aside from a physical trophy and certificate, many YSA winners also are flown to San Diego, California, to attend the annual Esri User Conference. There they meet many of the thousands of attendees including Esri president Jack Dangermond. The Scholars are recognized on stage with Jack during the Special Achievement in GIS (SAG) Award ceremony, and they present their research work in poster format as part of the massive Map Gallery exhibition, this year on July 11. The Scholars also took part in a long list of social activities including interaction with the growing Esri Young Professionals Network (YPN). 

Pedro: PortugalPedro: PortugalKarin: GermanyKarin: GermanyPrincella: GhanaPrincella: GhanaEmma: UKEmma: UKAndres: EcuadorAndres: EcuadorApoorv: IndiaApoorv: India

The diversity and depth of the research projects is impressive. Alvin Sum analyzed 5 wheelchair accessibility variables in a part of Hong Kong. Mikihiku Takeuchi studied archeological sites near Kyoto and published them on ArcGIS Online. Linde Beekmans looked at the climate change related implications of sea level rise: will The Netherlands keep its head above water? Thulaganyo Ntlatleng studied optimal siting of wind generators as part of South Africa's renewable energy strategy. These are are just a few examples. 

You can meet all the Scholars and their research posters by visiting this StoryMap

A big congratulations to all the 2022 Esri Young Scholar Award winners. We look forward to meeting the 2023 winners next year. 

2 Comments
About the Author
I am an education manager at Esri and I work mostly on projects outside of North America, supporting 80-plus Esri offices and more than 10000 universities. PhD from (SUNY) University at Buffalo. I am based in Spain and am part-time professor of GIS at Universitat Jaume I in Castellón. twitter: @0mgould