Report generated after edit session - shows what was changed from last saved version

06-17-2022 04:36 PM
Labels (1)
Veronicampbell
New Contributor III

I work with versioned datasets using Workflow Manager, and I think it would be helpful if a report was generated during each edit session that listed only the features that were edited (throughout multiple feature sets). I currently have editor tracking enabled (time and user is attached to each feature when it is edited), but it would be even more insightful if I knew exactly what was edited. I think this could be best achieved if a sort of screen capture of the attribute table, as well as the spatial feature itself was performed before and after the edit session. This way a quick comparison would show what was edited and would help clear confusion and reduce errors. If the report could somehow highlighted the differences between the two that would be even better. Thank you!

4 Comments
MelissaJarman
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

Hi Veronica - 

I have a few questions to clarify this idea a bit further. 

What type of versioning are you using? Traditional or branch

I am trying to determine if you are looking for something in ArcGIS Pro generally, or something in workflow manager specifically for each job. 

Have you tried to used the Add Archive button to view the archive class in the map and work with this using definition queries based on the archive fields? This is not an automatic display of the differences in a specific edit session, but you could view what was edited based on a specific GDB_FROM_DATE attribute value using a definition query on the archive class. 

Work with the archive class

MelissaJarman_0-1672148506522.png

Veronicampbell

Hello,

I'm using traditional versioning. I was imagining this capability in Workflow Manager; a report that could be generated after each job was completed.

I haven't tried 'Add Archive' yet, and am reading about it now. It sounds similar to what I was describing but haven't been able to find a video of it being used. It sounds like it would populate a visual component of the feature?

Thanks for looking into this!

V

MelissaJarman

Since you are using traditional versioning, you more than likely are not using archiving - so that Add Archive comment above won't work. This is something automatically enabled for branch versioning.

It sounds like you are wanting something that is similar to the Version Changes command that opens the Differences view, but with the ability to specify a particular job for the thing to provide differences for. 

Let's see if other users would also benefit from this by who comments or Kudos this idea. Thanks!

View traditional version changes

MelissaJarman
Status changed to: Open