Help witht Coordinates

04-28-2022 07:49 AM
SamMason1
New Contributor

Hi everyone

Can anyone make heads or tails with these coordinates? It is from a survey of a lot that I need to map into a BIM program as a site plan and I am deeply confused!
The distance between points is clear but the remainer (mainly how the coordinates are written) is quite unclear to me. 

Thank you in advance !!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

No way to tell what the coordinate system for sure, you can only guess. I would try coordinate systems that are used in that particular area of the world. Better yet, ask the person you got this survey sheet from.

MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

The (partial) definition is there in the Coordinates header: Lo 31. That's a South African coordinate reference system (CRS). It might be based on the Cape datum/geographic CRS or the current Hartebeesthoek94 CRS. We do a weird workaround to support these coordinates because the axes are south-west (or maybe west-south order) rather than our default of east-north. 

Try entering them as they are using projected coordinate systems-national grids-south africa-Hartebeesthoek94 Lo31 and see how they work. If they  appear to be flipped, try the (E-N) version instead.

Melita