Select to view content in your preferred language

What are the recommended image size for map journal story map template?

Jump to solution
10-10-2016 09:38 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi all,

I am working on a story map using the map journal template and would like to find the ideal image size for the main stage.  Any advice will be appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Emmanuel,

Since you can't predict the size or shape of the device or browser window your viewers will use to read your story there isn't a single recommended size for main stage images. For images with typical aspect ratios like 1:1 (square), 4:3, 3:4, 5:4, 4:5, etc. I think you'd want the image to be about 2000 pixels wide so that A) it looks good on large, high resolution displays and B) isn't too large that it loads slowly. This recommendation would be for main stage images in Map Journal or Map Series.

In terms of image position settings, we'd recommend always using the "Fill" option (the default) for photographs so they fill the main stage area (regardless of the size/shape of the device/browser window). However, if you have a photo or image that you do not want to crop, like an image of a chart, graph, or scanned map we'd recommend using the "Fit" option so the entire image will always be visible.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

4 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Emmanuel,

Since you can't predict the size or shape of the device or browser window your viewers will use to read your story there isn't a single recommended size for main stage images. For images with typical aspect ratios like 1:1 (square), 4:3, 3:4, 5:4, 4:5, etc. I think you'd want the image to be about 2000 pixels wide so that A) it looks good on large, high resolution displays and B) isn't too large that it loads slowly. This recommendation would be for main stage images in Map Journal or Map Series.

In terms of image position settings, we'd recommend always using the "Fill" option (the default) for photographs so they fill the main stage area (regardless of the size/shape of the device/browser window). However, if you have a photo or image that you do not want to crop, like an image of a chart, graph, or scanned map we'd recommend using the "Fit" option so the entire image will always be visible.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Owen,

Thanks for responding to my question!  This is very useful information and really would help to improve the current state of my story map.  Cheers!

0 Kudos
DanaDiotte2
New Contributor

I know this is an older thread but I ran across it looking for the same info and thought I would post the story map image guidelines from their FAQ.

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor II

Hi Dana, Good reminder that this info is in the FAQs. I think you meant to post this link, which is the FAQ about recommended image size for Story Map Journal: 

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/en/faq/#question38b 

Rupeet