Grid lines in the background

Jump to solution
04-25-2016 12:34 PM
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

In layout. How Can I make Grid lines in the background only and not over the features, without convert grid to graphic?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RichardDaniels

B definition referrence grids "are drawn on top of the data frame in layout view only" so within a single data frame this would be allowd. One option would be to create two data frames and place one on top of the other.

For example, you could have one data fame just with my 'main boundary layer' set to my desired scale/extent. Then create a gradicule for it. In my second data frame I would have my 'real' data. I would then align the bounding boxes of the two frames and grid (at the top right & bottom left of the map) . Once aligned I would uncheck the 'main boundary layer' in data frame 1 to make it invisible.

This would result in something like this.

mapontopofgrid.png

Rich

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor

You could create a second data frame, with the same extents, and put it under the one with your features. Add your grid to this one, and it will appear underneath your features.

Best Regards,

Jim

AbdullahAnter

good idea, but it still like convert to graphic.

Because when I pan map in current data frame ,the second data frame still not moved, so grids in layout will be wrong.

0 Kudos
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor

I did not realize you were going to be moving it.

Go under the data frame properties for the graticule data frame, and set the extent to "Other Data Frame".

They will stay in sync then.

Best Regards, Jim

0 Kudos
RichardDaniels

B definition referrence grids "are drawn on top of the data frame in layout view only" so within a single data frame this would be allowd. One option would be to create two data frames and place one on top of the other.

For example, you could have one data fame just with my 'main boundary layer' set to my desired scale/extent. Then create a gradicule for it. In my second data frame I would have my 'real' data. I would then align the bounding boxes of the two frames and grid (at the top right & bottom left of the map) . Once aligned I would uncheck the 'main boundary layer' in data frame 1 to make it invisible.

This would result in something like this.

mapontopofgrid.png

Rich