Select to view content in your preferred language

Export map differs from layout

02-13-2020 07:53 AM
GregoryLipps1
New Contributor

I can't get my exported map to show my raster layers as they appear in the layout.  Specifically, my layout includes four data frames, each with its own raster showing areas stippled with colored pixels, but the exported map makes it look as though much more of the area is colored.  I'm using ArcMap 10.6 and have tried exporting in every format and at nearly ever setting (even ridiculously high dpi) but can't seem to achieve a WYSIWYG.  C and D seem okay, but A and B (much more diffuse) renders very wrong and certainly doesn't accurately portray the data.  Appreciate any help or advice!  -- Greg

Image showing difference between photo of layout screen and the exported map.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Could be a DRA issue? Are they all set to the same symbology?

0 Kudos
GregoryLipps1
New Contributor

DRA is not selected for any of them.  All are using the same symbology for a very simple raster (0/1).  I've tried having the 0 display as white as well as not displaying the 0 at all.  The symbology for 1 is dark umber (shown in image), but I've tried every color combination I could think of, including making the 0 dark (black, gray) and the 1 light (white, yellow).  In every case, the percentage of the map that appears colored (=1) is much greater in the exported map than what is shown in the layout.

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

And unique values set in the symbology?

0 Kudos
GregoryLipps1
New Contributor

Yes, symbology is set to "Unique Values."

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Other than setting the display to nearest neighbour I dont know. Would be good to find out if and when you solve it. Good luck!

0 Kudos
GregoryLipps1
New Contributor

Based on your comments, I've tried adjusting every setting under Image Analysis (contrast, brightness, etc.) and all the resampling methods (the default being nearest neighbor).  Of note, setting resample = majority makes for much fewer colored areas (=1) appearing on the layout, but this doesn't seem to cause any change in the exported map.  It is still a poor representation of the data and what I see in the layout.  Looking at the exported B above, most think that 75-85% of the area =1, when in fact it is only 38%.

I appreciate your help, David.  Hopefully, others will have some suggestions.  

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

What's the source of your rasters?

0 Kudos
GregoryLipps1
New Contributor

Not sure I understand the question.  The rasters were created by me; they are the result of reclassifying more complex rasters to 1/0 (suitable/unsuitable), so they are really quite simple.

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Maybe reclassify the 0 to NoData

0 Kudos