Dissolve multiply integrated Feature Class

05-22-2023 04:54 AM
Labels (3)
aharport
New Contributor

Hello community, Maybe you can help me? I have an mxd with a table of contents in which several FCs are integrated multiple times. For example, an FC for fittings for 5 different media with different colors is also included five times. Each time the FC has the same size of approx. 15 symbols. For performance reasons, I would now only like to integrate the FC once. So I would have 75 symbols. Is there a way to display the 15 symbols in the table of contents with only one color (e.g. black), but in the display the symbols get their original five colors? The aim is to achieve higher performance and to get a more compact table of contents. Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor

I am not certain I fully understand your needs.
I have created a copy of a feature class in the map, set my symbology to reflect what I want in the legend, set a definition query to FID = -9999 (which returns no features). Then I used that item in the legend instead of the more complex feature class. This allows you to customize the symbology and text in the legend, independent of the actual feature class symbology and text used in the display.

0 Kudos
aharport
New Contributor

Sorry for the late reply. Can you maybe provide an example data set?

0 Kudos