Select to view content in your preferred language

Viewing data for unsubmitted responses?

10-18-2022 07:41 AM
KerryGrimm
New Contributor II

Is there a way to view data a respondent has entered into a survey but does not submit the survey. Even if people do not fully complete our survey, we would like to see their responses for the questions they did complete. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

If the survey responses have not been submitted, they don't exist anywhere except for on the actual device they are being submitted on. So, you would have to view the drafts folder within the Survey123 app on that device. There isn't any other way I can think of to view unsubmitted responses, unfortunately. 

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
KerryGrimm
New Contributor II

That is incredibly unfortunate. I now that Qualtrics will automatically submit a survey after a certain time and then those responses are viewable. Since our survey has several sections, even knowing responses to the first section would be useful analysis. 

0 Kudos
MichelleWilliamsERM
Occasional Contributor III

I agree with Katherine that if a survey wasn't submitted you won't see the data.

Here's what we do - We use the Inbox queried for "In Process," Then once each part is complete, the inspectors can submit.

Then have the team refresh the inbox when they need to grab the current "In Process" reports.

I you find this helpful. 

Just a note that you'll want to turn off the sent folder when using the inbox. This query is set up to bring ONLY the logged in inspectors reports into his/her inbox.

MichelleWilliamsERM_0-1666107896886.png

0 Kudos
KerryGrimm
New Contributor II

Is this only on the field app? We will be collecting data via the web app and phone--basically sharing the link and QR code widely and having those people share the code with their networks. 

If it is available in the web app (I used connect to create the Survey) where would I find that? This is the first time I am using Survey 123 so I appreciate the help.

0 Kudos
KerryGrimm
New Contributor II

Also, do you know if there is a way for the survey to automatically submit after a certain time period has lapsed?

0 Kudos
MichelleWilliamsERM
Occasional Contributor III

This is for Survey123 Connect. And I haven't seen a way for Survey123 to auto-send. But there might be a programmer who could write something for you.

I think it's a training solution and getting the inspectors to trust that the process works when they send it to the cloud and then returns to the inbox. I hope that helps.

0 Kudos
KerryGrimm
New Contributor II

Thanks. I will give it a try via connect and see what I can do.

Our project is a bit different because no one will be in the field collecting data from people. Instead, we are sharing the link and code with folks and they can complete it on their own time. Even in the field, research assistants will be just sharing the QR code for folks to complete on their own. Since it's a 10-15 minute survey and these are everyday community members, it is possible they lose interest or get busy and forget to complete it. 

0 Kudos