URL Redirect for Survey123 Connect survey

Jump to solution
2 weeks ago
MikhaylaB
New Contributor III

Does anyone have experience with setting up a URL redirect for their survey? I need a link that is short and easy to type for non-GIS professionals like gis.myorganization/stormsurvey

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
KerryKang
Occasional Contributor III

can you use a hyperlink or tiny URL? or QR code?

View solution in original post

jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

There's no reason the embed wouldn't work, we do things like that all the time. If you have a web server, you just drop the HTML with a full-page embed into its own directory and you've got the URL of your choosing. You can even embed it with the URL parameter hide to optionally hide some of the other elements like the header, footer, and navbar to make it mesh with the rest of your site better.

Not all browsers like embeds, though, so you do need to be mindful of that. Test it out on a few different browsers before going live with it.

Esri used to use bitly with the custom short URL arcg.is, but I don't know if they still do. It was possible to generate short URLs for your own stuff through it.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
KerryKang
Occasional Contributor III

can you use a hyperlink or tiny URL? or QR code?

MikhaylaB
New Contributor III

I'm actually not sure what a tiny URL is, I'll have to look into that. One option we talked about was embedding it in a webpage, but I'd like the user to be able to type in something short and easy to memorize from their phone or tablet browser.

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

As KerryKang already mentioned, a URL Shortener like TinyURL would work if you need an actual link. This is not something Esri supports nativley, so you will need to search elsewhere. TinyURL is one of many services. Just Google "URL Shortener" and take your pick.

If a QR code will work, that is native to S123. Go to the Collaborate tab in the S123 Website, make your selection from the three options, then click the "QR Code" button:

abureaux_1-1713463542174.png

This gives you a plain QR Code. If you want something fancier, there are QR Code services as well where you can create fancy colourful QR Codes.

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

There's no reason the embed wouldn't work, we do things like that all the time. If you have a web server, you just drop the HTML with a full-page embed into its own directory and you've got the URL of your choosing. You can even embed it with the URL parameter hide to optionally hide some of the other elements like the header, footer, and navbar to make it mesh with the rest of your site better.

Not all browsers like embeds, though, so you do need to be mindful of that. Test it out on a few different browsers before going live with it.

Esri used to use bitly with the custom short URL arcg.is, but I don't know if they still do. It was possible to generate short URLs for your own stuff through it.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
MikhaylaB
New Contributor III

Thanks for the suggestions; I'd like to try bitly or TinyURL in the future. I ended up doing an HTML redirect for this case so my storm water dept can just type mydomain.stormreport.html and get to the survey

0 Kudos