Surveying Existing Features from Field Maps - Survey123 Inbox Reloading

07-06-2023 08:08 AM
PaulaCutrone_GoCentroBus
New Contributor II

Greetings from Central New York!  I have a feature with over 6,000 existing bus stops over a 5 county area.  I am using Field Maps to display the stops and Survey123 to conduct an inventory/evaluation. I have two repeats (Bus Stop Repair and Shelter Evaluation). I am launching Survey123 from the Field Maps Pop Up with this code provided by my Solution Engineer :

<figure>
<table style="border-collapse:separate;border-spacing:6px 0px;margin-left:auto;margin-right:auto;table-layout:fixed;">
<tbody>
<tr>
<td style="background-color:#0070C0;width:200px;word-wrap:break-word;">
<a href="arcgis-survey123://?itemID=204ad266d65a40dba0f283bccd612f1d&amp;action=edit&amp;folder=overview&amp;update=true&amp;filter=globalId:{GlobalID} &amp;callback=https://fieldmaps.arcgis.app" rel="nofollow ugc noopener noreferrer" style="color:#ffffff;display:block;padding:8px;text-align:center;text-decoration:none;" target="_blank">Inspect Bus Stop</a>
</td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table><br />Click the button above to review and update current stop information. 
</figure>  

The link works; however, it is slowly loading the max 5,000 records through the Inbox before bringing up the survey I want (sometimes it doesn't find the survey). I can see that I am in the Overview window in Survey123, but the message on the screen is 'Adding rows to Inbox:' with the number increasing in 1,000 increments. Is there a way to have just the records showing in the app window in Field Maps pass through to Survey123, to limit the number of surveys it is trying to load?

As a stop gap, I added a Where clause in the Survey to just give me City = Syracuse from my feature. This is over 2,000 stops and will load them to the Inbox every time. This is still too slow and requires me to edit the Where clause every time the app is going to be used in another location. 

I have tried omitting Field Maps, but I can't symbolize the Overview Map in Survey123 like Field Maps (stops, flag stops, shelters).  We are not assigning which stops need to be inventoried. The Operations Supervisors need to be able to respond to calls or do an inventory on the fly in the field. Field Maps works great for showing them where they are on the map, allowing them to search for a specific stop, and get directions as needed.

Any ideas on how I can overcome this issue?  I can provide more details if needed. Thank you in advance, Paula

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JJ_Reyes
Occasional Contributor

Hi @PaulaCutrone_GoCentroBus - I'm not exactly sure how you have everything set up, but does it make any difference if you change folder=overview to folder=inbox in your URL?

Or, alternatively, the click from Field Maps opens a new "repeat only" survey for an inventory, instead of opening a survey with the stop info and the repeats via the Inbox. This idea would work best if they do not need to update the parent data.

0 Kudos
PaulaCutrone_GoCentroBus
New Contributor II

Hi @JJ_Reyes , thanks for your response.  Overview was supposed to prevent the Inbox issue, but it persists.  If I change it to Inbox it makes no difference.  

The workflow currently allows users to update some of the parent data. The idea is to go out and check every single stop in our system at least once to verify if the information we have in our scheduling software is accurate. We are also setting a new stop location if the initial one is incorrect.  I understand what you are saying about the "repeat only" and will look into changing or splitting up the workflow.  Can you explain how I would set it to open a "repeat only" survey? I would like to test it on this end.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
JJ_Reyes
Occasional Contributor

Ah ok. Setting up a survey for just the repeat is pretty easy. In you Excel >  Settings >  Form_ID field, put the name of the feature/table that contains your repeats. 

Then in your main form, you do not need the rows of begin_repeat and end_repeat.

If you're creating new form entries, you'll want to make sure to have data in the field that connects the parent/child. 

Usually, I use a select_one field with a search appearance from the parent layer to have the user select which parent feature they are entering data for: 

autocomplete search('any_unique_text?url=https://your-feature-service-parent//FeatureServer/0')

0 Kudos