survey submitted with required field not completed

01-23-2024 07:59 AM
clt_cabq
Occasional Contributor III

I'm testing a new form with some field staff and I've noticed a couple of surveys submitted where a required field was not completed, any thoughts as to how this might happen? 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

For a question to be truly required, it must be visible to the respondent. I am guessing you have an expression in either the relevant or body::esri:visible columns that hides your question. When the question is hidden, it is possible to get empty values in it, despite being required. Please note that if your required question is within a group or repeat, the visibility of that group or repeat will also affect your required question.

0 Kudos
Vinzafy
Occasional Contributor

Hey there,

Hard to say without seeing the form, but is the form one that you've published in the past and then updated with new required fields?

Initial thoughts are that some folks might have Version 1 of the form where some required fields weren't implemented yet. If the form was then updated to Version 2 which includes required fields, unless the folks that downloaded Version 1 update their forms to Version 2, they would still be utilizing Version 1 of the form and creating submissions without the required fields.

Not sure if that's your case, but food for thought.

0 Kudos
clt_cabq

Interesting thoughts; I suspect it is some interaction with other fields that have relevant and calculations applied. But none of the offered suggestions really apply. The questions are not hidden, and there has never been a version where the questions were not required. Thanks!

DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Do you have domains for that required question/field?  Maybe some mismatch of those between their app and the hosted feature layer (thus values being rejected)?

0 Kudos
mradams
New Contributor II

I am having the same problem, and my fields are not hidden and have never not been required, either. Have you found any resolution to the problem?

0 Kudos
clt_cabq

@mradams In my case it was some combination of calculations and relevant conditions settings that were in conflict - I had required a field to be populated, but had also provided an 'other' sort of response combined with a relevant condition that allowed users to not actually not provide an answer. The more of these kinds of conditions you start applying I think the easier it is for things to go awry because its difficult to see all the interactions that can occur.

0 Kudos