select_one/select_multiple list order/layout

2 weeks ago
DouglasKnabe
New Contributor III

I have a cascading select, where-in a select_multiple is used to configure the list used for a select_one. The problem is that the list of choices is laid out by row, i.e.,

ABC
DEF
GHI
JKL

The preference however, is to have it

AEI
BFJ
CGK
DHL

I considered ordering the choices to force the appearance in the second table, but with it being a cascading select, this would fall apart on the second select. Also, the 2nd select (the select_one) seems to be unpredictable whether it will show 2 or 3 columns (have it defined as max of 3). The number of columns (2 vs 3) makes no sense since it will wrap the text for choices if need be for 3 columns.

Is there any way to force Survey123 to layout the choices by column then row, or to force a set number of columns on these question types?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

You can set a fixed number of columns. It isn't in the drop-down though. Do this for the appearance: compact-x

Replace "x" with a number. E.g., compact-2

abureaux_0-1714596726203.png

abureaux_1-1714596733500.png

EDIT: Also, no, you cannot change sorting the way you described (at the app level). You can however change the order of items on the "choices" tab to force the app into displaying things the way you want. I'd set a specific order on the "choices" tab, and then set a fixed display on the "survey" tab (e.g., using the trick posted above or using the "minimal" appearance)

0 Kudos
DouglasKnabe
New Contributor III

I'm using the compact-x method, but it only forces a MAX number of columns and doesn't prevent it from displaying fewer. I'm also unable to predict when it will and will not drop to fewer columns.

Unfortunately, because of the cascading select, simply changing the order on the choices tab will not work for the second question when the choices are limited, and would therefore not fall into the columns I've tried to create by creative sorting.

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a good fix. As you mentioned, that cascading select adds a level of dynamic content that cannot be easily predicted, and the ordering of items is fixed to their order in the "choices" tab.

0 Kudos