Order of stored multiselect answer changed?

Jump to solution
10-13-2023 10:08 AM
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi! I know in the past, the answers to a multiselect question were stored as a comma-delimited string in the order in which they were selected. But it looks like now maybe the order they are storied is based on the order the options were presented (not selected). Did this change? 

For example: If shown choices of dog, cat, elephant, mouse - previously, if I clicked elephant then dog then cat, I would get "elephant,dog, cat" and now I'm seeing "dog,cat,elephant"

If it is a change, then if the "random order display" option isn't enabled, two people who pick the same two options will have equivalent responses, where as before their answers would only be equivalent if chosen in the same order. 

I'm authoring in the web designer and collecting the data using the web app.

Thanks!

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @Kylie

The is a known issue in the Web app at this time. Select multiple questions should maintain the order in which they were selected. The order of selection will be preserved in the Survey123 field app. 

Please feel free to reach out to Tech Support to log an official Enhancement for this change. 

Thank you,
Zach

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @Kylie

The is a known issue in the Web app at this time. Select multiple questions should maintain the order in which they were selected. The order of selection will be preserved in the Survey123 field app. 

Please feel free to reach out to Tech Support to log an official Enhancement for this change. 

Thank you,
Zach
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

This has been logged as BUG-000162103 - The output of a select_multiple question type in Survey123 is not consistent across the web and mobile apps

Thank you,
Zach
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks so much! 

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
MaryGraceMcClellan
New Contributor III

Hi @Kylie - did you figure out a workaround for this? I'm currently having trouble with preserving the order in which answers in a select_multiple are selected (I think this is the problem anyways, this is my question for reference - https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/editing-records-with-repeats-based-on-of-se...). Any related info you might have found could potentially be really helpful! 

0 Kudos