Select to view content in your preferred language

Linked CSV Refresh Interval

Jump to solution
a month ago
mattkramer
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I have a survey that is pulling in information from a csv that will be getting updated at an hourly rate. From my initial testing, the survey123 application will only update this csv once per day. Is there any setting available to ensure that the mobile user always redownloads the csv to ensure they always have the most up to date file (assuming they are in an area with internet connection when they open the form that is)?

I am using the ArcGIS API for python to rebuild this csv and overwrite it every hour if that matters.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

CSVs are definitely updated via dates. I update my CSVs multiple times a day sometimes and as soon as the date changes, I get the CSV download in the Field App.

Now, when the Field App updates is another thing entirely and Esri really needs to change that behaviour.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Take a look at Linked Content that can do this.  Note it does not work if coming into the form via a launch link from Field Maps.

See this post for directions.  https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/survey123-tricks-of-the-trade-external-choice/ba... 

0 Kudos
mattkramer
Occasional Contributor

Hey Doug, this is what I am currently doing. And the csv will update when I go to the overview page of the form, so I believe I have this set up correctly. The problem is this update will only happen the first time each day. When I go through the same process of opening the form up to the overview page the second time in the same day, no refresh will happen with the CSV.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Weird I thought I had changed more than once in a day before.  I wonder if it is comparing dates and not times when it checks for changes?

0 Kudos
mattkramer
Occasional Contributor

That is what I am thinking. Maybe best to open a ticket to confirm and just request an enhancement?

I have confirmed that a web form will always pull the live version of the csv, which should be a good enough workaround for me for now and also makes sense to me.

abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

CSVs are definitely updated via dates. I update my CSVs multiple times a day sometimes and as soon as the date changes, I get the CSV download in the Field App.

Now, when the Field App updates is another thing entirely and Esri really needs to change that behaviour.

RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

I have definitely updated CSVs for choice lists multiple times in a day and it will sync as expected.

As @abureaux said though it's really frustrating that it only checks for updates on the form overview/survey details page. (Side note: is there a documented name for that page that we should be using?) 

I've also found that it only checks when you open the overview page from the list of surveys, if a user had the survey open already on the overview page, or is filling out the survey and returns to the overview page that way, it does not trigger a refresh on the linked content.

I have also noticed previously that when I have the CSV in the media folder when the survey is published, but it is also linked content, sometimes it does not update and it only uses the one in the media folder. Though it has been a few versions since I really noticed this issue so I'm not sure if it's still a problem.

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

(Side note: is there a documented name for that page that we should be using?) 

I've been wondering the same thing! I've been loosely referring to those pages as "the home screen" (where surveys appear) and "the survey page" (where you see the Collect button)

I have also noticed previously that when I have the CSV in the media folder when the survey is published, but it is also linked content, sometimes it does not update and it only uses the one in the media folder

I still get this happening a lot. It's very frustrating and the only solution i have is to copy the sqlite file > delete survey > re-download survey > replace sqlite file (you can skip the sqlite file part if you don't care about drafts/sent folder).

RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

I've kind of been saying 'survey list screen' and 'survey details' or 'survey overview' but I'd like a consistent name (especially if Esri refers to it as a particular thing to make sure I'm getting the point across clearly! Haha)

Ah, that's annoying it's still happening! I've just stopped including the CSVs in the media folder to avoid the issue since it first started so that's why I wasn't sure if it still was.

0 Kudos