Editing survey changes the location of my record

2 weeks ago
EricaNova
Occasional Contributor

I have a survey set up through Survey123 connect. It has been working great for many years.

Recently, a user noticed that when they go in to edit a survey via the web app in Survey123, the geopoint record is erased and strange coordinates are used instead. We’re in southern Ontario (e.g., coordinates 44, -78)  but when we click “edit” on any record within the data tab of Survey123 (using the webapp), the web app erases the original location coordinate (ack!) and replaces it with a faraway coordinate like 89.99999, -177.95. This started happening recently, so maybe there has been some update that has affected survey performance?

I'm working with ESRI support on this, and they are stumped. I think I originally created the survey from a file geodatabase feature class. None of my other surveys are having this issue.

- We've changed the projection of the original data to match the webmap and republished the survey - the issue persists. 

- I downloaded a single record from my corrupted survey. ESRI support has changed it to a shapefile, re-assigned domains, published it, and noted the same issue. 

- If only the form is used to create a new feature class (not the file), the issue does not occur. 

- If possible I'd like to keep the original feature class intact as I have a lot of automation and scripts that would need to be updated - and this feature class has a lot of attachments. It won't be easy to republish! 

Thanks for any ideas you might have. 

Erica

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Do you have any calculations in the form related to the shape at all?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
EricaNova
Occasional Contributor

Nope, it's just a single point for each record. Simple stuff here 😉

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

All the more curious!

Try opening your browser's developer tools (ctrl + shift + i, usually) and watch the Network tab when you click "edit".

Whatever edit is being made has to go through the service's REST endpoint, which you would see as a POST request.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
EricaNova
Occasional Contributor

I actually recorded my actions as I tried to edit a point and sent the .har file to my ESRI support person. I can see a POST request in the .har file, but I don't know what to look for if it's wrong somehow. 

0 Kudos
RTPL_AU
Occasional Contributor II

The closest I get is that at some point AGOL/Pro started treating transformations differently and a few of my GDA2020 datasets had data started showing up in the wrong spot when edited (explained simplistically). 

If it is an old map check the default map settings that may have been set broken during the various Viewer/ Viewer Classic/ Field Maps platform updates. There may be a default location accuracy or input device set in some way. 

Can you drop the feature service into a new map and check if the behavior is the same in Field Maps - unlikely but not unexpected 🙂

0 Kudos
EricaNova
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for chiming in @RTPL_AU . I dropped the feature service into a new Map Viewer map and edited a point on my phone in Field Maps. No issue there.

Erica

0 Kudos